Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Losing Fish

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

fish - Losing Fish Empty
PostSubject: Losing Fish   fish - Losing Fish Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Hiya again. Sorry to bug you all with more questions but I am real worried about my fish now.

I am treating for ich and fin rot since Sunday. Have lost 2 plattys and avent seen any of the fry so think they have all died to.

all of the fish look ill and are still staying at the top of the water - I think I am going to lose them all the way things are going. The Angel fish fins look about the same. 2 more fish have white spots on them yesterday

Water test today ammonia 0.5 Nitrite 0.5. I cant do a water change because of the treatment s.

The fish look real bad - anything else I can do to make them better?
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

fish - Losing Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Losing Fish   fish - Losing Fish Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 8:03 pm

You need to waterchange - regardless of treatments. The ammonia and nitrite is worse than doing without the meds.

Add more oxygen (use an air stone and make sure the filter outlet breaks the water surface - if you already do this add an extra airpump) and raise the temp to 30degC to treat the whitespot and do 50% water change daily until readings are at 0.

I have treated whitespot this way with no meds whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

fish - Losing Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Losing Fish   fish - Losing Fish Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 8:32 pm

It's hard to treat and sort out poor water quality too Bob, but the Ammonia and Nitrite will be causing yor fish extra stress.

One thing you can do is do say a 50% water change. This obviously will remove 50% of the meds you have added too, so add that amount of meds to the tank as an extra (does that make sense?).

I have never had to treat fish for ich, but have read that people do this when they have to do a water change so it will keep up the concentration of meds but also give the fish decent water.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

fish - Losing Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Losing Fish   fish - Losing Fish Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 8:44 pm

good luck bob just keep up with the water changers.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

fish - Losing Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Losing Fish   fish - Losing Fish Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 9:35 pm

Bob - where do you live?

Im asking because different ich treatments work better in different parts ofd the country than others - basically this is due to the chemical composition of the water and the ingredients of the treatment.

If one brand of treatment isnt working (you should be seeing improvement after 4 days) try another brand - if you can find it - sera is excellent stuuf (cant remember the name of the drug but sera is the maker).

I dont want to sound rude here - but everything weve already suggested in the other thread still applies - and I did warn you to expect losses.

Hopefully you wont lose all the fish - but just in case this does happen - may I sugest reading throught the site (and or the wider tinterweb) and reading up abot the fishless cycle

I still feel really bad for you on all this and my offer to send you healthy filter media still stands (but will have to either post it tomorrow or next week)
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com

fish - Losing Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Losing Fish   fish - Losing Fish Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Rich wrote:
Bob - where do you live?

Live in York Rich.

Im asking because different ich treatments work better in different parts ofd the country than others - basically this is due to the chemical composition of the water and the ingredients of the treatment.

If one brand of treatment isnt working (you should be seeing improvement after 4 days) try another brand - if you can find it - sera is excellent stuuf (cant remember the name of the drug but sera is the maker).

I dont want to sound rude here - but everything weve already suggested in the other thread still applies - and I did warn you to expect losses.

I know, was just checking I was doing everything ok.

Hopefully you wont lose all the fish - but just in case this does happen - may I sugest reading throught the site (and or the wider tinterweb) and reading up abot the fishless cycle

I have read all that but would have thought that my tank would have been finished with all that, it's been set up for 3 months?

I still feel really bad for you on all this and my offer to send you healthy filter media still stands (but will have to either post it tomorrow or next week)

Thanks for the offer Rich, and for all the advice. I have got some media from my local fish store yesterday and added it to mine so that might help with things.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

fish - Losing Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Losing Fish   fish - Losing Fish Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 11:55 pm

All you can do Bob is just what you are doing really - it's upsetting to lose fish from illness, and to have the added complication of poor water quality doesn't help.

As mentioned earlier, when this is all over, and you have finished the treatment for ich and fin rot you have to sort out your stocking - the clown loaches and the angel need a bigger tank for example.

For now though, concentrate on getting the treatments done and then we will help you decide on what fish to have etc.

Dont hesitate to come back with any questions you have Bill.
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

fish - Losing Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Losing Fish   fish - Losing Fish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 7:26 am

hey bob! good to see your asking all the questions. i did too!

i made the mistake about buying a tank and fish straight away too but got onto the cycle thing alot quicker though.

one thing you may want to consider though is because the fish have been exposed to high levels of amonia nitrites and nitrates once evrything is cycled you fish may get whats called "new tank syndrome"

hope all goes well and this doesnt disharten you to the point of giving up.
Back to top Go down

fish - Losing Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Losing Fish   fish - Losing Fish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 8:35 am

sorry youre having such trouble Bob, hope it all sorts out and the ich goes soon. You will always get the help you need from the people on here so keep askoing when you need to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

fish - Losing Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Losing Fish   fish - Losing Fish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Losing Fish
Page 1 of 1