Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WHICH CICHLIDS??

Go down 
+3
Diana
Rich
Fishfan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 6:52 am

If I get this 300litre tank I am looking at and decide on cichlids which ones and how many could I have?? I like the sound of Oscars but do they need to be kept on their own - I like the look of Munchy's fish too which almost remind me of marine fish they are so colourful.

So, what ones and how many??
Back to top Go down

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 7:03 am

Well you know what i would say
Very Happy
but then again Munchys are nice
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 7:18 am

you can keep other larger fish with oscars - like tinfoils, silver sharks, bigger cats etc - a pair of oscars is another option (with the above if you like)
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 7:33 am

This is the problem with fishkeeping - there are jut too many fish out there that look nice!

I know what you mean aboiut the cichlids though, they are a great looking bunch arent they Smile
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 7:00 am

they are that Smile If I ever manage to decide on what type of tank to get I am going to have a lot of thinking about fish to do! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:10 pm

you could go the same way as me. i have a large oscar in with other cichlids. there is the odd punch up for dominance but i think that was because the severum used to rule the roost and nowhe doesn't but the severum and oscar are now trying to spawn.

in my tank i have 1 large abino tiger oscar, 1 green severum, 1 jack demsy, 2 blue acara, 1 blood red jewel, 1 red head cichlid,1 rope fish (oscar ate the other 3), 1 salvini, 2 taliking cat fish, 1 large L001 plec, 1 gold nugget plec, 1 clown plec.

in mycase atleast all these fish seem to get on fine.
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:52 pm

wow thats a great mix, any pics gary would liuke to see that lot in your tank.

dekker
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:30 pm

gary wrote:
you could go the same way as me. i have a large oscar in with other cichlids. there is the odd punch up for dominance but i think that was because the severum used to rule the roost and nowhe doesn't but the severum and oscar are now trying to spawn.

in my tank i have 1 large abino tiger oscar, 1 green severum, 1 jack demsy, 2 blue acara, 1 blood red jewel, 1 red head cichlid,1 rope fish (oscar ate the other 3), 1 salvini, 2 taliking cat fish, 1 large L001 plec, 1 gold nugget plec, 1 clown plec.

in mycase atleast all these fish seem to get on fine.

thats one well stocked tank!!!!

mine is very similar:

1 oscar, pair of green sevs, 1x juvie green sev 1x juvie gold sev 1x gold saum (false green terror) 1x blue acara 1x small giggy 1x large gold spot
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 pm

If you were to have Malawis (like mine) in a 300L I'd go for about 40 with extra filtration.
We have two externals on our tank that both turn over 1200LPH. Never had anything over about 15 for nitrAtes Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 9:16 pm

Thanks Munchy - 40 sounds like a lot for a 300litre but I know you have to overstockk a bit with them. Is that sort of filtration the minimum needed do you think - I'll have to have a look at prices and things over the next few days.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 2:01 am

To be safe i'd get more filtration than you need. Here's ours in the cupboard...

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Filters
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 2:10 am

That looks quite neat actually - is maintenance fairly straightforward on them?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 2:16 am

Yes.. just turn the taps off on top & disconnect the pipes. Carry the whole thing into the kitchen and take out the baskets. I swill them in tank water (rescue any fry) and put em all back in again.
Once the taps are reconnected just pump the button on top to fill it back with water & turn on. Simple!
Back to top Go down
Grampa
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
Grampa

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-02-19

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 3:17 am

munchycarrot wrote:
Yes.. just turn the taps off on top & disconnect the pipes. Carry the whole thing into the kitchen and take out the baskets. I swill them in tank water (rescue any fry) and put em all back in again.
Once the taps are reconnected just pump the button on top to fill it back with water & turn on. Simple!

This sounds like just what I'm looking for. They dont look cheap though ? eyebrows
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 5:46 am

very impressive setup you got there munchy

dekker
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 7:13 am

Gertrude Barkley wrote:
This sounds like just what I'm looking for. They dont look cheap though ? eyebrows

£70 (UK) for the EX1200. They do an EX600 & EX700 for smaller tanks, they are a bit cheaper too. In my experience these are a lot cheaper than the fluval externals.

Have a look at this
Back to top Go down

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 11:28 pm

Thats a great looking set up munchy - it doesnt look all cluttered either.

£70 isnt a bad price for a filter that size is it.

Reading the posts of ff looking for a new tank and looking at this filter info just makes me want to go and buy a new set up - now..................I wonder if I can re organise my living room???
Back to top Go down

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:23 pm

i use 2 eheim ecco 2136 1500 litres perhour combined and the highest nitrate i ever get is also around 40. they were £70 too but i got money off because i know the guy who owns the lfs.
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 6:46 am

it pays to know people at the lfs gary.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WHICH CICHLIDS?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHICH CICHLIDS??   WHICH CICHLIDS?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WHICH CICHLIDS??
Page 1 of 1