Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can I keep cichlids?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Can I keep cichlids? Empty
PostSubject: Can I keep cichlids?   Can I keep cichlids? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:06 am

So here's a question for all you cichlid experts. I am going to get another tank in the next month or so - probably about 200litres and was thinking of getting some cichlids - the photo's of them on here have been amazing!

What do I need to consider though before getting any - apart from the size some of them might grow to. Do they have any specific requirememnts I need to consider, and is it best to go for cichlids from a certain area more than another?

Thanks everyone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Can I keep cichlids?   Can I keep cichlids? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 2:38 am

Hi,

Munchy is more a cichlid girl than myself but in 200l I am sure you can keep cichlids of some sort.

You will need to consider water - is yours hard or soft? Do you want plants or not? and what are the actual dimensions of your tank?

All these things can determine which types are suitable. I think you also need to research adult sizes as some (like my Oscars) grow huge while others (like geordiedaves shell dwellers) stay tiny.

There are many beautiful cichlids so plenty to choose from - I'm sure you can find some perfect for your tank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can I keep cichlids?   Can I keep cichlids? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 3:06 am

Thanks indigoj. My ph stays at about 7.6 - 7.8 is that hard or soft?? I'm not bothered about plants to be honest, I dont mind not having them if they dont go with cichlids - do they eat plants?

I have been reading GeordieDave's threads about the shelldwellers - they are cute arent they, but I think I would like something with a bit of colour (sounds daft I know!)
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: Can I keep cichlids?   Can I keep cichlids? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 3:16 am

Your Ph is on the hard side which does give you a fair bit of choice with cichlids. I'd be looking at types that grow to a max 5" and of course it depends if you want just cichlids or some other fish in there too. If you want other fish then you need to consider the aggression factor.

Firemouths (or the Ellioti that Mike has posted a pic of) could be good choices.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can I keep cichlids?   Can I keep cichlids? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 3:21 am

can you keep other fish with cichlids then? I thought they had to be in a tank on their own - you can tell Ive done a lot of reading up on this cant you :lol:
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: Can I keep cichlids?   Can I keep cichlids? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 3:35 am

It depends on the cichlid. Rams, Kribensis, Angelfish are all cichlids that can be kept in communities. Even Oscars given a tank and tank mates large enough are not always aggressive beyond their own kind.

Many of the most colourful are very aggressive though and these are definitely species only fish.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Can I keep cichlids?   Can I keep cichlids? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 7:53 pm

Hi elj..

sorry i missed this thread completely! Have you any idea of what you want...what sort of colours etc?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: Can I keep cichlids?   Can I keep cichlids? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 4:51 am

Thats ok munchy, indi stood in for you :lol: . Now I embarass myself and show my ignorance!! I just love the photos I have seen on here about cichlids, but know nothing about them. I DO know thre is a hundred and one varieties though, but havent a clue what ones would be suitable for a 200litre tank (or thereabouts).

Indi has given me some names, and I like the look of some of them (except oscars and angelfish) but other than that dont know what are good starter fish for a cichlid novice.
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Can I keep cichlids?   Can I keep cichlids? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:39 am

depends on what you want an actual tank dimensions.

The lamprologus multifasciatus shell dwellers are unique little fish. You could keep them with something like Leptosoma.

Again depends on length of tank your gonna get id personally aim for 4' or longer. If I had the psace I would. But atm its not feasile.
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Can I keep cichlids?   Can I keep cichlids? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:40 am

My water is around 7.6- 7.8 and its fine...I havent buffered my water at all for shellies and its obviously good enough for breeding conditions too.

I do have some ocean rock in the shell tank, but i do weekly WC of around 10 - 20% so it keeps the Ph fairly stable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I keep cichlids?   Can I keep cichlids? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can I keep cichlids?
Page 1 of 1