Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Empty
PostSubject: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 8:49 am

Well they're fast little beggars but I managed to grab a few shots anyway of the six Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia praecox). There are two males (red fins) and four females (yellow fins) as yet unnamed; I'll wait and see if they survive the month in quarantine.silent

Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish 3041179371_50180d342d Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish 3042021276_141a471c6a Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish 3041179551_c527e4ec38 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish 3041179449_44d2a3056aDwarf Neon Rainbowfish 3041179831_bbbc1e6b2c Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish 3042021452_f326fbd703

Last edited by Mary on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 9:03 pm

They loom good Mary. Just a question - how do you clean your q tank after it has been used? Do you have to make sure that your plants/log are clean in case they have had some bug or other?

I see you dont use gravel in there either, dont you find all the poop a problem without it?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 1:47 am

If the fish go through the month of quarantine without any sign of illness, once they're transferred to the relevant tank, I just add the next set of fish to be quarantined. Wink

However, if any signs of disease manifest in the Q tank or if a fish dies in there, I drain the tank, clean all the decor with boiling water and also sterilize the filter sponges in boiling water. I keep a spare sponge in the two foot tank filter so that can be swapped over as necessary. Smile
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 7:55 am

Any rainbows are great. I had these for a while. Very assertive when it comes to feeding time. little piggies

Nice pics!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks GD. They certainly are a bit lunatic at feeding time alright!! Smile
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 5:56 am

how do you manage to get such good shots? and the fish seem to stay still for you.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 6:20 am

It's maddening isn't it GD?? I have NEVER been able to take a photo of a fish that doesn't just look like a blurry blob no matter how hard i try.

Time for some lessons from the masters I think!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 10:59 am

Well those photos were the best of about twenty or so shots and some of them are still blurry! Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 2:00 am

Do you reckon they are really just little paper pictures stuck onto the glass GD?? Shocked Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 5:54 am

Be honest mary.....YOU cut em out of the PFK mag!!!
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 6:29 am

lmao, i bet she only has 1 & she photoshopped the rest in.

Very nice shots & (one) fish Mary tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 6:52 am

Suspect Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish 506402
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 8:04 am

Well I've had mixed luck with this shoal of Rainbowfish. After a month in quarantine, one of the males developed a lump on his head so I decided to move him to a different quarantine tank to treat him while leaving the other five in the original Q tank. After two courses of meds, there was a definite improvement and then after a second month, I was getting ready to move the other five into the three foot tank when one of the females died suddenly of unknown causes... Evil or Very Mad

So rather than take a chance, I decided to leave them be for another while but was going to move the treated male back in with them when I noticed that he'd started to develop a slight spinal curvature. I went to check on him tonight but alas, he's dead. Sad

So now I'm down to one male and three females that I'm going to let be for another while to see if they develop any symptoms of anything. I don't want to risk the three foot tank community by moving the Rainbowfish in there too soon. I can't decide whether or not to replace the male and female that died though... scratch
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 8:37 pm

Thats a shame about your fish Mary.

As for getting some more - do you have a seperate q tank to put them in? If you added new fish into the ones that are already in a q tank dont you run the risk of introducing something else into the mix??
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 7:04 am

Sorry about your fishes Mary - you have had a long run of healthy fish though after all the bad luck you had with your bettas etc havent you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 7:13 am

wow lovely clear pics
are you sure there is water in there. laughing
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:41 am

Diana wrote:
Do you have a seperate q tank to put them in? If you added new fish into the ones that are already in a q tank dont you run the risk of introducing something else into the mix??

I do. But I have my eye on some female cherry barbs for that one as the poor males keep displaying to each other. I might add the extra Rainbows at a later date. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish   Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
Page 1 of 1