Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NEON PROBLEMS

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

NEON PROBLEMS Empty
PostSubject: NEON PROBLEMS   NEON PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 12:24 am

Have just done my weekly water change and as usual take the chance to have a good look at the fish. Noticed that one neon has a definate bent spine, and another ha a swollen belly that makes it look like its pregnant.

Anyone know whats going on and what I can do for them? They are booth swimming round , eeating and water is fine.
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

NEON PROBLEMS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEON PROBLEMS   NEON PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 4:29 am

sorry F.F i do have neons myself but never had any probs with them - fingers crossed
rich will have a idea when he comes on line hope you get them sorted mate

dekker
Back to top Go down

NEON PROBLEMS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEON PROBLEMS   NEON PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 7:13 am

me to ff. hope all go's well
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

NEON PROBLEMS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEON PROBLEMS   NEON PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 9:18 am

I've come across the bent spine issue before, Fishfan. AFAIK it's a genetic problem with some Neons and the swollen belly could be indicative of an internal parasitic infection. It would do no harm to treat them with something like Interpet No. 9 if you have it although I'm not sure how successful it would be. Do you have a separate quarantine tank? Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

NEON PROBLEMS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEON PROBLEMS   NEON PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 7:51 pm

I had this when I kept neons too ff, and sorry to say I never managed ti get them right again. IME neons are a really weak breed, and I dont keep them at all anymore because of that.

As mary said, the Number 9 might be worth a try but other than that I think its just a case of keeping an eye on them and q them if you can
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

NEON PROBLEMS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEON PROBLEMS   NEON PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 am

hope things are better with your neons mate

dekker
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

NEON PROBLEMS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEON PROBLEMS   NEON PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 6:50 am

bent spine is usually a sign of a vitamin/mineral deficiency - a bit like bent limbs in humans and scurvy. This assumes the bending is a recent thing - as for the belly - could be constipation or early signs of internal infection/bloat etc.

Its not 'neon' tetra disorder as this tends to have no outward signs (and its a bacterial thing specific to neons that affects the skin according to new findings)

SAo you could try changing the diet and see how things go - I wouldnt reach for the meds just yet - problem with neons is they dont like meds either and most the meds have dyes that neons dont like (and copper etc)

Cooked n squished down peas is the easy solution for constipation and may well have some of the nutrients missing otherwise - but the spinal bend usually remains - if they are eating etc normally - i wouldnt think they are 'suffering' too much.

But as im sort of paranoid about my fish getting all the nutrients - this is why my fish dont get the same feed two days in a row 9and explains the dozens of fish food pots in my cupboard).

I also think its good policy to feed some sort of natural food everyday - ie blood worm or for small fish such as tetra - tubifex (dried is easiest)

hope this helps
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

NEON PROBLEMS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEON PROBLEMS   NEON PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 8:37 pm

Thanks for all the info guys.

Rich whats your normal feeding regime then, and what makes of food do you use? I suppose I have sort of fallen into just giving them the same stuff all the time so that might be it.

How often do you give stuff like veg? I have heard that if you feed live food you casn introduce germs into the tank so I dont want to do that tbh, but have fot some freeze dried stuff. I stopped with that coz the fish never seemed to bother with it tbh
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

NEON PROBLEMS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEON PROBLEMS   NEON PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 1:40 pm

I wont post my food list here as its rather big - given I have a more varied community than you do - plus a few 'fussy' and 'complicated' fish - it may add to confusion.

So what id say is this - keep the smallest mouths in mind when feeding - as you have tetras - stuff like hikari micro pellets and micro wafers would be good - you can also now get small species specific flake - usually aimed at gupsters but its good for everything else.

Like humans - fish get vored of the same old food and also - if you only feed one type of flake - some fish will only eat their favourite colour flake and ignore the rest.

As for the live food - I used to think like you - but ive seen the benefits outweigh any small risk by a long way. Also - as long as you keep to decent brand name freeze dried food - you can be 99.99999% sure its safe - eg King british tubifex worms and blood worms. I also use frozen bugs (about y only regular purchase from P@H these days).

You can also buy brine shrimp flake and dried daphnia (usually targeted for marines but its fine for any fish)

The other option is grow your own (brine shrimp) I do this for the baby gupsters and all the fish love some freshly htched shrimp - even the angel fish in the main tank go nuts for them - its easy to do and you can get a starter kit for £20 that will put you on for a long while.

If you drop me a pm with your postal address - I can send you a pot of my mix I use for my gupster tank - Diana had some a while ago and i dont think it killed her fish (yet Very Happy) - it basically has a big mix of all kinds.

BTW - I hereby fess to forgetting that the spinal kink can be caused by accidents in the tank - ie decor falling onto the fish etc - rather unusual tbh but possible - one of my cherry barbs developed a back kink early on (about 2years ago now) ans she is still doing well.

If you want to introduce new foods - you could be cheeky and ask the manufactuers for free samples - a bit of fibbing helps (ie 'im starting a fish breeding business and would like to see which food works best')

You dont know if you dont try Wink

as I said - drop me a pm and i'll get some food in the post asap
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

NEON PROBLEMS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEON PROBLEMS   NEON PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 10:40 pm

Thanks Rich. I might pm you for a sample in the New year - I'm away for a few days to see some rels before Christmas NEON PROBLEMS Icon_rolleyes but appreciate the offer and the info too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NEON PROBLEMS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEON PROBLEMS   NEON PROBLEMS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEON PROBLEMS
Page 1 of 1