Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ham for Oscar??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 10:48 pm

hi all
can i give Oscar a small piece of ham please??
thanks
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 4:42 am

I wouldnt. I think it's best to give them fish specific good, mixed flake, pellets, dried and frozen foods. I know some also feed them live food - small goldfish, guppies etc, but I dont like the sound of that tbh.
Back to top Go down

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 4:56 am

Thanks Diane oooh nooooo i couldnt feed live stuff No not my thing
up to now hes had frozen blood worm. flakes. prawns.
i will get some of the pellets for him hiria gold or something they call them.
im sure lfs will know where i got him from.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 5:00 am

That sounds like a good mix of food chez. I am not sure if oscars are like other fish and will eat some veggies too - hopefully someone else will let you know about that Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 5:10 am

Ive never understood how people can do that - it just not needed. I have seen some idiots put vids on youtube showing it and they think its a bit of a laugh Evil or Very Mad

Theres plenty of food available for fish, theres no need to throw a guppy in for them to chew on is there
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 6:27 am

Here is a good read for you chez Smile

taken from the same site - Though Oscars will take live foods, feeding live goldfish is always a bad idea. Feeder goldfish are not a very nutritious food, and they are a good way to spread disease to your beloved Oscars
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 8:05 am

I'd say no to the ham but yes to fresh prawns, scallops or mussels. Yum. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 8:44 am

have never fed my cichlids ham before but they have had prawns, lance fish, beef heart, squid rings and cooked chicken.

my oscar has also tasted reed fish. he has an unfortunate taste for fully grown tiger barbs Crying or Very sad much to my disapointment one morning when he ate 8 in one night.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 9:28 am

gary wrote:
my oscar has also tasted reed fish. he has an unfortunate taste for fully grown tiger barbs much to my disapointment one morning when he ate 8 in one night.

Shocked
Back to top Go down

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 9:17 pm

Surely there is no need to give alive fish as a food? Doesn't the food you can buy in the shops give them all they need?

I would hate to see that Sad
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 9:59 pm

I don't think there is a need for it & if it was absolutely necessary, i'd not keep the fish personally Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 5:52 am

reginald the oscar took it upon himself to eat my beloved reed fish and tiger barbs.

he didn't so much as eat the reed fish just chewed them up a bit. Ham for Oscar?? 36977

he gets all the nutrition he need in all the frozen and prepared foods he gets just has had an extra munch at my stock a couple of times. Sad
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 7:53 am

Well, that's oscars for you Very Happy

It's amazing just how quick some fish can munch through another. I know sometimes I have lost a couple of fish and there is just no sign of them at all - they just seem to vanish overnight!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 8:42 am

Diana wrote:
I know sometimes I have lost a couple of fish and there is just no sign of them at all - they just seem to vanish overnight!

affraid
Back to top Go down

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 10:05 am

yes it is unfortunate. i find these are the problems i have now with my big cichlids. i have to be very careful what i introduce and at what size. my 8 inch oscar can easily much 3-4 inch fish including other juvinile cichlids i might want to add.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 8:13 pm

wow, that is some size for a fish isnt it?? affraid

I am sorry if this is mentioned somewhere else, but what is your tank set up/occupants? Have you posted pics of it, it would be great to see it Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 1:29 am

I am not putting anything in with O Elvis
i know he is going to get very Big so im not going to take that chance.
he's going to be a loner bless...
he seems happy enough.
i have just had to empty the tank half way i thought he had dissapered i looked everywhere he was no where in sight.
i mean how can i lose 1 3 1/2 inch fish. Rolling Eyes
i found him tight up against the filter box
now i dont know if he was stuck or resting,
but he seems ok now.
1 FISH CAUSING ALL THIS.LOL
talk about panick..... i thought i had lost him.
ah well this weeks water change is done.lol
Back to top Go down

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 1:31 am

gary wrote:
yes it is unfortunate. i find these are the problems i have now with my big cichlids. i have to be very careful what i introduce and at what size. my 8 inch oscar can easily much 3-4 inch fish including other juvinile cichlids i might want to add.

love to see pics Gary
see what i have coming.lol
Back to top Go down

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 7:03 am

chez wrote:
love to see pics Gary
see what i have coming.lol

how big is your oscar now.

believe me it won't take long before yours will be huge. i bought mine at about 5 inches around 2-3 months ago

he's in my avator but i'll start a thred later with some piccys
Back to top Go down

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 6:13 pm

aww hes lovely
mines only diddy 3 1/2
had him 3 weeks but i can see hes grown a bit.
just hope hes not a really fast grower as o/h has to build
the new set up yet.
thats o/h christmas holiday sorted... Smile
Back to top Go down

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 6:30 pm

I managed to get a couple of better pics

Ham for Oscar?? 2003_0321Image0004

Ham for Oscar?? 2003_0321Image0005

Ham for Oscar?? 2003_0321Image0008
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 7:48 pm

ah, he looks great - nice colouration too.

Thanks for the pics chez Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 4:44 am

what a lovely little fish, he looks great Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 6:59 am

Gorgeous colouration. fish
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ham for Oscar?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ham for Oscar??   Ham for Oscar?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ham for Oscar??
Page 1 of 1