Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

back with good news and bad news

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

back with good news and bad news Empty
PostSubject: back with good news and bad news   back with good news and bad news Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 9:02 pm

ok finaly my tank is sorted
amonia=0
nitrite=0
nitrate=10ppm
ph=7.2

ok the question is:
due to stupidity on my half the instrucctions for kh and gh have been thrown out,
and im lost on how to use them.
please help help
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: back with good news and bad news   back with good news and bad news Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:52 am

If it's the API test kit then the method is the same, BG. Add 5ml of water to the testtube. Add one drop at a time from either the KH and GH bottles. You then count how many of drops it takes to turn the KH testtube from blue to yellow - that gives you your KH; for the GH, I think it's orange to green or vice versa. If you let me know the number of drops, I'll let you know the result re: hardness standards. Smile
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: back with good news and bad news   back with good news and bad news Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 7:53 am

it is the api test kit
10 drops of kh and 7 of gh
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: back with good news and bad news   back with good news and bad news Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:04 am

Well those readings are fine. The GH is a measure of the General Hardness and it never changes. At 7, you have moderately soft water so can stock just about anything apart from some of the more specialized hard water species such as Malawi Cichlids. The KH is linked to the pH and the level of nitrates in the tank. It needs to be above 4 to keep the pH stable so at 10, you're rocking! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: back with good news and bad news   back with good news and bad news Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:04 pm

can these readings ever be too high Mary? I have never tested my tank for all this stuff, but I guess I need to start keeping an eye on stuff a bit more.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: back with good news and bad news   back with good news and bad news Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 7:12 am

Fishfan wrote:
can these readings ever be too high Mary?

Well initially they're dependant on the actual chemistry of your tapwater and after that, the KH depends on the level of nitrates in the tank which obviously changes over time. It's no harm to test them every now and then because sometimes mysterious unknown deaths can be due to a pH crash... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: back with good news and bad news   back with good news and bad news Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

back with good news and bad news
Page 1 of 1