Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tropical vs Coldwater

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Tropical vs Coldwater Empty
PostSubject: Tropical vs Coldwater   Tropical vs Coldwater Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 5:46 am

Which is the easiest to take care of? I have given the tank back to its owner, but am going to get another tank and some more fish. Thing is I dont know whether to stay with the goldies - my two are just lovely Very Happy - or whether to be a traitor and go warm. Is there any difference in taking care of the two lots of fish and which is the most straightforward to look after?

Also, did anyone see on the news the other night of the fella who had trained his goldfish to do all sorts of tricks - go under a limbo pole, play netball, and loads of othet things too?

Here's a link - click on the pic and wait for it to load in a seperate bit

http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Footballer-fish-hits-the-net-510912578.html
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Tropical vs Coldwater   Tropical vs Coldwater Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 6:22 am

I dont think there's much difference really, apart from having to warm the water. Trops or coldwater, they both need to be kept clean, gravel vac'd, fed etc.

In some ways I find the goldies easier - dont have to bother too much about water temp, in other ways harder - algae problems.

Hard to choose betwen them really.

I did see the thing about the fish doing the tricks, it was great :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Tropical vs Coldwater   Tropical vs Coldwater Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 10:57 pm

I agree with Diana. Both require an equal amount of weekly care and tank maintenance. The only thing I would say is that I worry less about the coldwater tank if I'm away because (a) there's no heater to malfunction and accidentally boil/freeze your fish and (b) if the filter was to break down for any reason, the goldfish would tolerate increased ammonia and/or nitrite levels longer than the tropicals would. pale
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tropical vs Coldwater   Tropical vs Coldwater Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tropical vs Coldwater
Page 1 of 1