Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PONDS & FISHES

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PONDS & FISHES Empty
PostSubject: PONDS & FISHES   PONDS & FISHES Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 4:12 pm

hi guys,,.,.nice to see a such a you know sopicticated community...well as you know that i am fishing lover and as well as pet lover.but how can you know cz i am new here..haha.just chiling...and also do some art work as well like just for my pets like dog portraits..hope you hate it...cz its not very good..nw the puprose of joiing and starting this new thread is ..i need some fishes..actually i am going to make pond in my own home and enjoy fishing too..with the
other pets...so which type of fishes i must kept..i am just taking ideas from you people cz i dn`t hav enough knowledge regarding speacial types...and the weather condition and their feed...
so may be you wil help me
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PONDS & FISHES Empty
PostSubject: Re: PONDS & FISHES   PONDS & FISHES Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 3:51 am

Hiya cuty and welcome to TFF. Have just had a look at the dog portraits on the website and they are really lovey!.

I see from your post that you are thinking of starting an outdoor pond. I dont have a pond although it is something I have thought about in the past - just never got round to doing it.

From what I know, there are several fish that are suitable, but it does depend on what type and what size the pond is going to be.

Both Koi and Goldfish (not the fancy varieties) are good pond dwellers and can significantly add to the interest and beauty of your pond. They do both need really good water quality to thrive and stay healthy, which means a good filtration system is necessary. Koi need a deep pond with a lot of filtration.

You will have to clean the pond regularly, and if you have koi, they will need to be fed every day. One thing to beat in mind, if you do want to keep koi they love to eat egetation, and so you will not be able to grow much in the way of plants.The pond will need to be cleaned regularly and the koi must be fed daily.

Goldfish can be kept on their own in a pond, and in some cases can be easier to look after - but only if you have a 'no feed' pond. In this system you provide adequate vegetation for the fish to live on as their sole source of food, in a balanced ecosystem.

If you are unable to do this, the fish must be fed. If you do this they will probably reproduce at a higher rate, and grow larger than the size of your pond can accommodate.

Whichever fish you decide upon, the recommended stocking level is 1" of fish for every 24 square inches of pond (work that one out if you can!!)

Hope that helps a bit.
Back to top Go down

PONDS & FISHES Empty
PostSubject: Re: PONDS & FISHES   PONDS & FISHES Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 10:59 pm

i'm not sure about this but isnt it also better to have some sort of fountain so that you get water movement and also it helps with the oxygenation too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PONDS & FISHES Empty
PostSubject: Re: PONDS & FISHES   PONDS & FISHES Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PONDS & FISHES
Page 1 of 1