Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

breeding fish

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 6:23 am

Hia everyone, havent been on for a few days but nice to be here again Very Happy . I was just wondering, apart from the usual livebearers that breed almost constantly, which would be a good fish to start breeding? I have a sort of thought that I would like to have a go at breeding something that wasnt as easy as a guppy, but not impossibly hard either! What do you think?
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 6:52 am

Kribensis or Bristlenose Plecs both breed fairly easily and most LFS will give store credit for them.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 7:28 am

I wish I had a male/female pair of BN's, it would be great to see them breed, they would be so cute!
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Here is a pic of a new bn baby, not mine but someone I know

breeding fish Bnbaby
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 10:54 pm

Oh that is so cute!! I love you

When you realize the size of a cucumber slice, you can see how tiny it is. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 4:11 am

Oh that is lovely! What sort of ratio (male to females) do you have to have with them do you know? I dont know anything about their breeding habits, but it would be great to have a breeding pair.

I'm starting to have silly ideas!!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am

well the guy who's pic i've used said he got his to breed at 3"/4". He turned the temp down to 72 and next day they had spawned, he got about 70+ 1" fry Very Happy
Back to top Go down

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 7:55 am

70 fry affraid . Do they lay eggs MC? I presume they do as they couldn't have that many babies could they?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 8:45 am

yes they lay eggs Very Happy

someone i know, who i've had some fish off...one of her malawi cichlids had 107 babies, all in her mouth affraid
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 8:56 am

Oh he poor thing, that must have been awful for it! Amazing though isnt it?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 8:58 am

It's mad! I was amazed watching the fuelleborni spitting out 17. God knows what i'd be like with that many, i'd sound like i've got tourettes Shocked
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 8:59 am

hahaha Now that I would like to see lol!
Back to top Go down

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 9:26 am

How do you know the difference between a male and female BN? Both of mine look the same but I dont know which sex they are.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:22 am

The male tends to grow distinctive bristles on its face hence the name. The female has very short or no bristles at all. Wink
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 7:03 pm

My bristlies have spawned twice, the second spawn was smaller but not much. THe first lot we swapped about 35 for other fish at my LFS and sold 30 and STILL have about 20 left! There are probably another 50 of the 2nd spawn...

Diana one male and one female will spawn but I know some people keep 2 females with 1 male. The male protects the eggs and fry until they start to come out of his cave. All they need is a dark cave or hollow which is a fairly tight fit.
Back to top Go down

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 10:51 pm

Lord, didnt know they had that many babies, would be great to see that though. I suppose you would have to have the breeding pair in a seperate tank would you indi, to protect the fry? do they need special feeding, being algae eaters mainly, what would that be?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:32 pm

I was just going to ask that driver :lol: Looks like we'll have to wait for indi to come back :lol:
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 5:08 am

Hi Guys!

Both times my spawns have happened in my community tank but I have moved dad, cave and eggs before they hatch.

Because they were in the community they got a very varied diet - plec wafers, flake, veggies such as courgette, sinking catfish pellets, bloodworm (pellets and frozen) and the odd prawn or two which they love. I think this is the key - a mostly vegetarian diet with a bit of meat now and then.

I didn't do anything different to trigger spawning but cooler water changes can trick them into thinking it is breeding season.

It is very rewarding and the fry are super cute! I'll stick a pic in my gallery of some.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 5:38 am

Indi, what size tank would be needed as a breeding tank for them. I have two males BN's in my main tank, but have a spare tank just sitting and doing nothing. It's 2ftx1ftx1ft.

Would it be possible to put one of the males in there and get him a little lurve interest eyebrows ?

No, on second thoughts scratch that idea, what would I do with the female when the male is raising the brood? scratch

More learning is required study
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 7:04 am

LOL, you can leave her there, or simply put her back in the community until you want more...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

breeding fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: breeding fish   breeding fish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

breeding fish
Page 1 of 1