Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another cycling question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Another cycling question Empty
PostSubject: Another cycling question   Another cycling question Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 2:12 am

Now I've been good and not bothered you wirth loads of questions over the past few days but I cant wait any longer!

Started 6/3
PH 7.8
Overdosed tank and had to do water change
Got Ammonia down to about 4ppm (API kit).

7/3
PH 7.8
Ammonia still looks 4ppm so added nothing
Nitrite 0
Nitrate not checked

8/3
PH 8.0
Ammonia 4ppm so nothing added
Nitrite 0.25

9/3
PH 7.8
Ammonia still 4!!!
Nitrite 0.25

10/3
Ph 7.8
Ammonia between 2 -4. Taken back up to 4
Nitrite 0.25

15/3
ph 8.0
Ammonia 2 ish
Nitrite 1.0

Why is the ph still going up? At this rate I am not going to keep any fish at all because at 8 it would not be good for them would it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another cycling question   Another cycling question Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 4:38 am

elj i think the ph and the nitrtes too will be all over the place. Have you checked your tap water? if not take a specimen of tapwater let it stand for a day or two and then check it. that will tell you what your bse level is and an idea what ph you will have at the end.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another cycling question   Another cycling question Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 5:12 am

Thanks driver. No I havent tested the tapwater - it never occured to me to do that! Embarassed . I'll take a specimen now and leave it for 2 days then test and see what it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another cycling question   Another cycling question Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 5:14 am

No probs. think you cycle is going ok to be honest so wouldnt worry about the ph or nitrate. jst the ammonia and nitrite for now and that is going ok.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Another cycling question   Another cycling question Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 6:06 am

I wouldn't worry about the pH at the moment. That can be changed but also most community fish can cope!! It's good the nitrites going up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Another cycling question   Another cycling question Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 1:25 am

Yes...good advice from driver there, things are moving now the nI is on the up, well done Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another cycling question   Another cycling question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another cycling question
Page 1 of 1