Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

fishless cycle

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

cycle - fishless cycle Empty
PostSubject: fishless cycle   cycle - fishless cycle Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 6:50 am

I thought I had asked this but cant find my post, so I mustn't have!

I have today started the fishless cycle and addded ammonia. I know from reading the stuff on here that I am supposed to add enough to take the level up to 5 but there isnt a 5 on the colour cards I have. It has a 4 and an 8.

I added enough to take it over the colour 4 but I dont know what the reading is and if I have added too much. How do you know if it is 4 or not?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: fishless cycle   cycle - fishless cycle Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 7:16 am

It's tricky when the API doesn't have 5 on the card. Aim for just over 4ppm, like you said. If it gets to the colour of 8, it's too much (That's not meant to sound sarcastic) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: fishless cycle   cycle - fishless cycle Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 7:58 am

Sounds like you gig the right thing! Good luck Very Happy (guys prepare for the questions guys!)
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: fishless cycle   cycle - fishless cycle Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 12:05 am

eljston wrote:
I thought I had asked this but cant find my post, so I mustn't have!

I have today started the fishless cycle and addded ammonia. I know from reading the stuff on here that I am supposed to add enough to take the level up to 5 but there isnt a 5 on the colour cards I have. It has a 4 and an 8.

I added enough to take it over the colour 4 but I dont know what the reading is and if I have added too much. How do you know if it is 4 or not?

I dont know if this will help you at all elj but I have not long finished my fishless cycle. I topped the tank up to the 4 mark and it worked ok. I was worried in case I had overdoesed the tank at one stage because it is hard to jusdge (at least I thought it was) what is just a bit over 4.

What I did in the end was take the level up to the 4 mark instead of trying to figure out what colour was 5 and it worked well, the tank got cycled in the end.

Main thing I found was that I panicked if it wasnt going as quick as I thought it should be and I kept coming on here and asking questions all the time, so dont worry about asking questions because you will always get help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fishless cycle   cycle - fishless cycle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fishless cycle
Page 1 of 1