Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Molly losing colour

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Molly losing colour Empty
PostSubject: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 11:04 pm

One of my mollies is losing colour on its fin, anyone know what could be causing it?

I've only noticed it the past day or two, its eating fine and swimming ok too.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 1:48 am

Are your water stats ok now driver - you were having the mini cycle weren't you?

It could be related to that - the stress of the ammonia etc dunno
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 6:06 am

Stats? My gourami has lost a bit of colour on body, sounds a bit like yours? Seems to be ok though. I'm trying some different food as well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw

PostSubject: Re: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 6:40 am

sorry, i thought I had put them in my first post. The ammonia seems to be sticking at about 0.25, perhaps a bit less, nut nitrites are 0. im doing daily water changes, sometimes twice a day if i can.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 6:43 am

Could be ammonia?? Keep up the WCs to get it down Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 6:45 am

yeah i am doing that. it's been up since the power cut i had the other day. just hope it doesnt start to affect the fish.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 6:46 am

I hate powercuts! Hoping for the best Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 7:09 am

Well she's not looking so hot tonight, a bit listless and not really swimming around as much. looks like i might have a problem here Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 7:17 am

I have been looking around for answers, and a common one is fin rot. It can cause the fin to discolour and disintegrate (probs not right word to use!). DO you have a picture. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

PostSubject: Re: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 7:29 am

driver.. it could just be that the stress from the power cut has weakened her. I know a lot of people have had probs with similar symptoms. If anything goes astray in the tank, it seems mollies are the first to succumb to diseases in their weakened state.
All i'd suggest is daily water changes but you're already doing them. Is she still eating? Are any others showing any symptoms.. are there any white/stringy poos?

One of my yellow labs was acting very similar but didn't eat for about 3 wks, she didn't have enough strength to swim, she lodged in a rock & stayed there.
I added a course of Octozin (by Waterlife) to the tank for some other problems we were having & within a day she started eating & after 2 or 3 days, she was swimming around as though she'd never been ill. It may be that due to weakness, your fish has developed something.
It's tricky, it's not good practise to bung meds in without knowing if there is any illness present, but at the same time it's hard to see them suffer.

The Octozin comes in tablet form which we dissolved in a jug of tank water, stirred then tipped it into the tank. We saved the last bits & soaked some food in. That seemed to be a really good way of getting the meds into the fish quickly.
If you don't go with the Octozin treatment, it's good to remember about medicating the food.
(i'm not saying add meds just yet but if things don't improve, or any other fish show any symptoms, it wouldn't hurt)
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 5:24 am

Sorry, I havent been on for a couple of days - doing early shifts and work on the house just takes up all the time.

So, the water stats seem to be ok now, they were 0 0 15 oday for the first time, but I did a water change just in case.

The molly still looks bad, not swimming much, spending most of the time on the bottom, but does swim to the top for food. is hiding behind a plant most of the time.

Havent been able to get to lfs mc, but have afternoon off tomorrw so will go then - or now that the water is ok is it a waste of time?

Oh, to answer your other questions, no other fish affected, no stringy poos that i have seen
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:12 am

Glad to hear it, driver. Smile
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

PostSubject: Re: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:48 am

If the water is good & no other fish are showing signs of doing the same I'd probably not bother treating the tank as we don't know what is wrong...reallly.
If she doesn't improve, is there any way you could seperate her maybe in a q tank or a tank divider?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Molly losing colour   Molly losing colour Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Molly losing colour
Page 1 of 1