Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

head & tail light tetras

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jkhsquonk
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
jkhsquonk

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2008-01-14

head & tail light tetras Empty
PostSubject: head & tail light tetras   head & tail light tetras Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 10:03 am

Earlier this week I got 6 of these tetras for my 10 gallon tank.They're also called beacon teras, according to some websites. They have settled into the tank well and are active & eating, but their little lights aren't glowing as much as on the 1st day I brought them home.Would anyone know why their lights aren't "on" all the time? They mainly seem to be on full power when they're eating, but part of the time, they are dimmed. Is it emotion, activity, temperature, or what controls the lights? I've had other kinds of tetras before, but not this species, so I'm still learning about them.
Jackie
Back to top Go down
http://jkhsquonk.ebsqart.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: head & tail light tetras   head & tail light tetras Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 5:48 am

Hiya jacke. Must be honest, I have never heard of this type of tetra, so dont know how brght they should be.

I know that both the neon tetra and cardinal's can lose their colouration in the evening - I wonder if these are similar?

I found a bit of info on them if it is any use, but you probaby now it al ready. Srry I can't be of more use!

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Hemigrammus&species=ocellifer&id=520
Back to top Go down
jkhsquonk
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
jkhsquonk

PostSubject: Re: head & tail light tetras   head & tail light tetras Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks Diana, that was a great article & had more info than any others I'd found on my own! It even had how to tell the genders apart, which I wasn't able to find before.
I never knew that about neons & cards in the evening. Maybe that is the case with this kind too? The article said the head & tail lights could become washed out in a sparse tank, which makes me wonder if I ought to add more plants to mine. The whole back is taller plants & medium in mid-tank, but the very front is mostly open with a driftwood log & very short plants. Maybe I should get some short bushy plants to add to the front & sides? Guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
Thanks again for the link!

Jackie
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: head & tail light tetras   head & tail light tetras Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 9:37 am

Also - it can take a week or two for fish to 'settle in' - remember the fish have been stresed, they are in a new unknown environment and wont be 'happy' for a while - when they are happy they will colour up again

And yes neons do change colour during the day Smile

never heard of beaconn tetran - wonder if its another name for head n tail light or headlamp tetras?
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
jkhsquonk
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
jkhsquonk

PostSubject: Re: head & tail light tetras   head & tail light tetras Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:35 am

After reading the article Diana posted, I went & got a whole bunch of fake plants to add to the tank, brought the foliage right out to the front wall of the aquarium. I've never had such a densely planted tank. Well, they seem to like it, as they are much more active all over the tank & are more colorful. I know putting the plants in only added to their stress, but now I won't be messing about in there any more(there's no room. lol). I like to watch them weave through the taller branches of the plants, it's very National Geographic.
Jackie
Back to top Go down
SMcM1

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-03-02

PostSubject: Re: head & tail light tetras   head & tail light tetras Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 1:56 am

That sounds great jackie. I am bust looking at all the pics on here and elsewhere of how people have their tanks decorated, there are so many variations!

Is the whole of your tank 'floor' covered with little plants now then? If so how do you go about cleaning the gravel etc of detritus? Do you use one of those vacuum thingies?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: head & tail light tetras   head & tail light tetras Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

head & tail light tetras
Page 1 of 1