Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack O Byte

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube Empty
PostSubject: Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube   Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi Folks,

Work has been hectic so I've not had the chance to post an update on my new setup for ages!

The cycle finally worked out. Many thanks to Diana for the API colour test cards. thanks The cards that were in with my kit were rubbish!

So my aquarium now homes six Penguin tetras and six Julii Corys (Julliis are the most fun, manic fish I've ever seen!!! crazy ).
They share their home with a big chunk of bogwood and some plants (including Amazon ferns but I can't remember the names of the other two!). Next to join them will be some shrimp and long-fin Zebra Danios, when I have the time (LONG drive!).
I'll post some pics asap once work relaxes a bit.

Anyway.... to my question...

My aquarium is second hand and only has one 590mm T8 18w lamp, and I want to give my plants some more light.

Can anyone suggest which would be the best controller to fit? I was thinking of upgrading to two T5 tubes and using Arcadias new electronic unit;
http://arcadia-uk.info/product.php?pid=91&mid=10&lan=en&sub=&id=4

It's described as having a range of 24-39Watt, but do you know if I can fit a piar of 28watt tubes, or is it set to EITHER 24 or 39watt only?

Any preferences on the tubes to give the best for plants and fish?

Many thanks,
J

Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube   Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:27 pm

hi jack

glad to here you are now all cycled and have some fish in your setup looking forward to seeing some pics mate, as for the lighting i have two t5s in mine but it came that way so i don't really have any experience with change lighting systems but i'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out mate, i will have a look round on net to see if i can get any info.

nice to hear from you again pal.
Back to top Go down
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube   Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:29 pm

Thanks Dekker,

Which site do you use for storing your pics on?

J
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube   Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 2:50 am

Why do you want to change the wattage Jack? Not alll aquarium plants thrive in high lighting and it can lead to quite bad algae problems.

If the Amazon ferns are Java ferns, they thrive best in low lighting so you may well kill them off by fiddling with the wattage.

If you dont mind me answering the question for dekks, photobucket is a great photo storing site and easy to use.
Back to top Go down
Jack O Byte

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube   Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 2:56 am

Hi Diana,

I'll take a look at Photobucket and try & upload some pics there. Thanks.

Light-wise, I was thinking that I'd use one light to suit the plants and one to suit the fish, but I'm not set on upping the wattage for the sake of it. I'm happy to stick to 18watt if you think it's wise.

Cheers,
J
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube   Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 3:58 am

there you go jack diana has sorted you out mate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube   Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Upgrading Juwel lighting to double tube
Page 1 of 1