Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what can i have in my tank?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
liamage

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-06-25

what can i have in my tank? Empty
PostSubject: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 7:31 am

i have a 54l jewel tropical fishtank, i have in it, a striped dora catfish, an albino loach, a ruby shark, an angel fish, 2 flying fox's, 2 guppies, 2mollies, 1 male siamese fighter and 2 females, a dwarf male gourami, a green panchax and 2 dwarf frogs. They all seem fine i have lots of plants and hiding places. I was just wondering if i have too many fish?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 8:01 am

hi and welcome to this friendly forum.
someone will be along to advise you soon
male fighter and females in same tank what can i have in my tank? Icon_eek

but sorry i dont know enough to advise but i would say wayyyy to many
1 fish per inch
plus the angel will need alot more room
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 8:12 am

Hiya Smile

Well, first of all, welcome to the forum! I hate to start your visit here with bad news but I am afraid you have a few looming problems in your tank.

It is only a smallish tank, and you have a lot of fish, many of which just aren't suitable for that smalll a tank.

Your catfish can grow to at least 6" and maybe bigger, and needs a minimum of 120litres

The shark is VERY territorial and needs a much bigger tank, you must not keep male and female siamese fighter fish in the same tank or they will fight to the death, and the angel fish will grow to the size of a saucer!

You really need to wither get yourself a large, new tank (always a good thing to do Smile) or return some of your fish to the shop you got them from.

By the way, are you testing your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as with the number of fish you have in in the minute it is possible that water quality will suffer.

Sorry for all the bad news, but dont worry, if you let us know what fish you are interested in then we will help you get your tank sorted.
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 3:51 pm

hi and welcome to the site - both chez and diana are correct you do have too many fish in your tank i'am afraid your angel will get large and it will see anything like your guppys as food - if you want to keep all your fish then the only way is a bigger tank - as chez and diana have said your fighters will do just that - sorry for all this bad news on your first post
any more questions just shout someone will be on to help - welcome again

dekker
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Angel fish>
Origin

Amazon region of South America
Size

Up to 6" in length, the top and bottom fins spanning a greater distance in the Veil varieties.
Ideal Water Quality

Soft (0.6 to 1.2 dH), slightly acid (pH 6.5 to 6.9), successful breedings have occurred in pH 6.8.
Live Plants

Live plants should be included in all freshwater tanks. Water quality is monitored by live plants as they will look sickly before the fish die, they aid in keeping water clear, hinder growth of algae and add Oxygen to the water.
Broadleaf aquatic plants are favorites of Angelfish for laying their eggs on. Amazon Sword Plants (Echinodorus) are in a genus that embraces more than fifty relatively hardy and adaptable species, most of which are native to the flood plains of South America. They prefer water that is neutral or slightly acid and not too hard making them perfect plants for your Angelfish tank.
Vesicularia dubyana (Java Moss), Ceratopteris (Water Sprite) and Microsorium (Polypodium pteropus or Java Fern) are all compatible live aquatic plants.
Diet

Angelfish can survive on flake food alone, but they will thrive and be much more apt to breed on a greatly varied diet. Live foods such as Adult Brine Shrimp, Black Worms, Mosquito larvae, finely chopped earthworms and Guppy fry are accepted with enthusiasm and should be included regularly. If live food is not available, frozen packages of Blood Worms (Midge Fly larvae), Brine Shrimp and others are available from your favorite pet supply store and are acceptable substitutions for the live food. There are many dried foods available that will suffice too.
Raw beef heart, finely ground, mixed with unflavored gelatin and frozen immediately in small one serving size pieces is a good and economical addition to your Angelfish diet. Be absolutely sure there is no fat in the meat.
Tank Size

The minimum size tank for a breeding pair of Angelfish is 15 gallons, but should be 25 gallons or larger if you plan on leaving the fry with the parents. As you can imagine, a fully grown pair of Angels with 200-300 fry to herd around would be pretty cramped in anything smaller. Another plus to having a larger tank is that there is a better feeling of security in a larger tank and the parents aren't as apt to eat their eggs or young.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 7:08 pm

striped dora catfish Platydoras costatus
This attractive and comical fish can grow to 20cm, and may eat little fish so it is best kept in larger aquaria with medium sized fish. The Striped Talking Catfish is a peaceful fish which will scavenge amongst the substrate. Provide a few hiding areas, and if possible, a sandy substrate. The fish is omnivorous and should be provided with a variety of foods. The name comes from the fishes ability to make 'grinding' noises. Do not catch these fish with a normal net, as they are covered in tiny spines which will become trapped and result in damage to the fish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 7:09 pm

Ruby Shark

Common Name: Ruby Shark, Rainbow Shark, Red Finned Shark.
Latin Name: Epalzeorhynchos frenatum
Origin: Thialand
Temperature: 70-80°F (21-27°C)
Ease Of Keeping: medium
Aggressivness: medium
Lighting: normal
Adult Size: 4 to 6 inches (10 to 15cm)
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallon (120 liters)
Feeding: Bloodworms,Alge flakes, Some other flake foods
Spawning Method: unknown

Ruby sharks are very teritorial fish, they need a hiding spot or they might die of stress. Here are some things you could get for them, of course a fake or real plant, a rock, maybe a hollow hidding place like some drift wood or a tube. They may stay at the bottom for a long period of time motionless.

They often are nocturnal in my experience, well thats maybe because all of my fish are nocturnal. Ruby sharks dont like a lot of sunlight so only turn on the light during water changes.

Telling male from female. Often the males are much smaller, the females almost always look pregnant, they have big bellies and may turn towards a silver colour, boys, on the other hand are slim and have a black outlined anal fin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 7:16 pm

hope all that helps liamage

I Only have 1 oscar in a 50 inch wide tank
and to be honest if I Had the room he would have a BIGGER ONE what can i have in my tank? Icon_eek
but I Did alot of reading about them before I Got him
as to what they like,don't like (my fingers)
food.and the tank size needed.ETC.
if I Was to put anything in with him he will eat it.

good luck and as Diane says take some back.
starting with the Angel and catfish and the male guppy,
I Cant understand why L.F.S Sell people fish like this without questioning?
oh yes I Can.....................MONEY.
On saying that my L.F.S Never told me how big he was going to get
but I Knew so only had him as a 1 Species fish.
and boy am I Glad when he jumps up its like free willy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 7:46 pm

I Have a 96 ltr marine tank, so loads bigger than yours.
and all I Have in that is 2 clowns and 2 turbo snails and 2 hermit crabs
and to be honest I say 2 more fish for that size would be ample.
cor I Wish it looked like that now.lol
any questions give us a shout and we will try and help we dont bite.(Elvis does)

what can i have in my tank? Dscn1511
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 11:34 pm

Guppys what can i have in my tank? Kopfschuettel

I would say 1 male to 5 female blimey do these fish breed what can i have in my tank? Icon_eek
so if you want them to breed prepare yourself for alot of guppys.
I Had 6 males and 4 females and in no time had 100's of baby fry.
even then the males would not leave the females alone.
I Had alot of female deaths with stress.
This was in the very early 80's when I Didnt know anything about fish
and no computer.
And my Local fish shop didnt want to know.so wouldnt take them off me,

I Then swore never again would I Have Guppys
And Shellies as much as I Love these little fish
are the same.breed breed breed. what can i have in my tank? Kopfschuettel

So now 1 species tank.for me.
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 5:22 pm

nice post chez very good detailed info will help a lot of people

dekker
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Thanks Decks
The thing is we learnt the hard way didn't we
and so did our poor fish..... what can i have in my tank? Icon_sad
Now older and wiser and with the P.C and google the worlds our oyster.lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 2:20 am

any update on this Liamage ?
how are you going .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what can i have in my tank?   what can i have in my tank? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what can i have in my tank?
Page 1 of 1