Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FILTERS _ AGAIN

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

FILTERS _ AGAIN Empty
PostSubject: FILTERS _ AGAIN   FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 6:32 am

Si I had to get a new filter for my betta tank because the fluval 3 died on me. Dived down to the lfs, they only sell Fluvals so ended up with a Fluval 3U

Now its a decent filter but I cant fix the spray bar onto it that I was using as the lumen of the outlet ports are different. It has 3 controls - A= flow from top nozzle. B= built in spray bar that is built in vertically along the front of the filter, C= flow from the bottom nozzle.

The flow from all of them is too much for the betta, but I want to make sure there is enough oxygenation in the tank, and enough flow to gently agitate the surface of the water?

There isnt a control for reducing the actual force of the flow, just where the flow is coming from.

I was thinking I might tie a bit of cut up ladies tiights and keep it in place with an elastic band - would that work or is there a better way?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

FILTERS _ AGAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: FILTERS _ AGAIN   FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 9:55 am

Can you angle the filter nozzle so that the main force of the water flow is against the glass? That's what I did with the Fluval 2 in my turtle tank. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

FILTERS _ AGAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: FILTERS _ AGAIN   FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:18 am

the problem with 'blocking' the outlets is you can out strain on the motor (overheat) and cause clogging of the filter.

What you could do is use a length of tubing to redirect the water (on the outflow) so it either goes straight down back intot he water or as Mary suggests - goes against the glass.

If your confident - you can block one end of the tube and make small holes to act as a 'spray bar' or find a larger piece of decor (or fake plant - not a real one) and place that right on the out flow.

I still say air filters are best for fighters - but you could make your power filter into an air filter with a small bit of messing Wink
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

FILTERS _ AGAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: FILTERS _ AGAIN   FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks Mary. I had the spray bar like that and it worked really well, didnt seem to bother him at all but I think the actual flow from this filter must be considerably more, even though it is the right size for this tank.

The flow of the water coming out of the nozzle is such that it hits the glass and then causes a 'log flume' affect along the back of the tank and round the side too.

Rich, I did wonder about the overheating aspect and whether it would be a problem or not.

Looking for tubing is llike looking for the Holy Grail. I have been to the major DIY outlets and they just dont have anything at all suitable, neither do the lfs.

I will see how he goes today, but I think I might end up keeping this as a spare and running it in the big tank. Now I have added the guppies it wouldnt hurt to have a bit of extra filtration in there anyway, and looking for something a bit more betta friendly.

I wil have to get it online as my local lfs only stock fluval FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_rolleyes, so I was thinking of getting one of these that does have a spray bar included. It does handle up to a 180litre tank so might be a bit too powerful, but the next one down only is for a 60litre tank. Might be ok though? FILTERS _ AGAIN 876616

http://www.wharfaquatics.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=WAQ0003
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

FILTERS _ AGAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: FILTERS _ AGAIN   FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 4:51 am

The LFS do have the right tubing - its usually attached to a gravel vac Wink

I really do recommend the aquaballs - the out l;et is adjustable in terms of angle and flow and will be fine for a betta - but

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/eheim-filters-aquaball-c-62_277.html

seem cheaper - I suggest you get the biggest your willing to pay for - the powerheads are much the same - its the number of additional baskets you pay more for and the extra expansion kits are expensive when you dont need half of the kit.

I think the 130 would be fine for your tank Wink its also cheaper on Charterhouse than wharf Wink

If you already have active media - you should be able to chop up the foam etc and get it to fit the baskets - I even managed to cram noodles into mine (had to break them up to pieces tho)

They are good filters - I promise Wink (I now have 4 Very Happy)

What I do now is take the blue course sponge from the powerhead compartment and use fine filter wool as the final cleaning stage - it needs changing weekly as the filter is SO good it sucks up all the bits Wink

You may need to scrape of gunk from the spnges etc every so often to get the flow back - but since you dont want flow... Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

FILTERS _ AGAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: FILTERS _ AGAIN   FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 5:03 am

Thanks Rich, Ive orderdd one now. Didnt use Warfaquatics as I got a security warning up on the site saying they hadnt renewed their payment security so thought I had better steer clear!

Thanks for the comment about the gravel vac tubing, I'll check that out and see if it's compatable Smile
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

FILTERS _ AGAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: FILTERS _ AGAIN   FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:52 am

if not - let me know the size you need as ive lots of bits of aquarium tubing in a bag somewhere Wink

(spare collection and never the part I need when I need it Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

FILTERS _ AGAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: FILTERS _ AGAIN   FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Well I have got the eheim filter up and running and have to say I am very impressed. It is so easy to use, perfectly quiet and the ability to rotate the head gives you so much more control over flow etc.

Max is much happier and is building himself a bubble nest again - something he had stopped doing when the Fluval 3U was blasting out.

I used the media from the established filter cut up into bits and put them in the compartments of the eheim so shouldnt have any water problems.

Great filter and would recommend them.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

FILTERS _ AGAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: FILTERS _ AGAIN   FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 3:19 am

TOLD YOU FILTERS _ AGAIN 506402
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

FILTERS _ AGAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: FILTERS _ AGAIN   FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 6:02 am

I bow to your wisdom oh wise one FILTERS _ AGAIN 745864

Shame you cant sort out my lighting problem for me FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

FILTERS _ AGAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: FILTERS _ AGAIN   FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 8:17 pm

glad you got your filter probs sorted diana

dekker
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

FILTERS _ AGAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: FILTERS _ AGAIN   FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 9:47 pm

Diana wrote:
I bow to your wisdom oh wise one FILTERS _ AGAIN 745864

Shame you cant sort out my lighting problem for me FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_biggrin

I could sort out your lighting problem - it depends of you can afford me FILTERS _ AGAIN 392368

ive replied to that thread too - seriously tho - im sure it can be sorted out - depends on who far your willing to go (in terms of effort and cash) or how bothered you are about lighting.

I do have a 'spare' 3 foot twin T-Mount lighting unit if its any use (youd have to pay for postage tho)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FILTERS _ AGAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: FILTERS _ AGAIN   FILTERS _ AGAIN Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FILTERS _ AGAIN
Page 1 of 1