Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is my betta ill?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Is my betta ill? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is my betta ill?   Is my betta ill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 2:28 am

OK - the instructions on the meds dont assume you also have a water quality problem as well - which we (here on tff) had to assume was the case as you didnt have a test kit.

In all honesty - there is no point treating a fish for an illness if the water is the reason for the illness - the 'finrot' is a side effect.

So - Change some water in the morning (as an example) THEN add medicine right after the water change - it isnt an ideal situation but \t least the meds are at full strength for 24hours.

IF you are 100% certain that your water quality is 100% perfect (ie zero ammonia and zero nitrite) then you follow the instructions to the letter (as well as Mary's advice) and complete the meds course then do a water change.

IF the water has ANY hint and I mean ANY ammonia and or nitrite - then do a small water change then top up the meds.

This is one of those catch 22 situations where you cant do 100% good - so if your watter is not right - small water changes and med topups - when the water is good - then you can follow the meds instructions to the letter Wink

Just a word from the wise (and others will argue against it) but in future, when you buy new fish and add them to your tank - always assume thye have whitespot. Unless you have the luxury of a quarantine tank (a good use for your current 15L tank if you upgrade later) there is no way of watching for nasties on new fish - so as soon as new fish arrive - treat them for white spot.

If I am right in assuming your meds are of the once a week type - then your doing the right thing (or at least a good compromise) as your fish seems tobe improving now - I would suggest finding meds (yup - mellafix and pimafix) that are daiky doses amd are thus easier to use - especially when combined with water changes.

You could always just back off the meds altogether now and see how he goes and concentrate ion the water quality from here on in and let nature do the rest - I have had fins damaged from fights (not me personally Very Happy) and have just treated for a day or two and then let nature do its thing and in all honesty - once the infectious bacteria is stopped (or at least the fish' immune system has had a boost/helping hand) then the fish's own body does the rest quite quickly.

Stress is a real problem for a fish and makews it harder to treat illnesses and usually is the cause too - being ill is stressful and being stressed makes em ill - so you need to break the cycle - bad water = stress and is the easiest thing to cure.

Prevention is better than cure.

Drop me a private message with your postal address and I'll send you some filter media and gunk to add to your tank by next day recorded delivery - it will add good bacteria to your system and speed things up - it will be a bit unsightly in your tank at first - but once everything is sorted - you can then bin it (or find a way of getting most or all of it into your trickle system)

Be assured that most if not all of us here have been thru what your going thru - however were not into the fishy business to line ourr purses so we can give you honest advice - as mercenary as it sounds - the shops would rather your fish died so you buy more - same with meds etc - they make alot of money from fancy gimmicky meds.

Anyway - what YOU decide to do is YOUR business - we can only advise Wink
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com

Is my betta ill?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2