Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tank Temps

Go down 
+2
indigoj
Diana
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Tank Temps Empty
PostSubject: Tank Temps   Tank Temps Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 10:56 pm

What temperature are you all getting in your tanks now? despite it cooling down considerably from the hot days we had a week or so ago, I still cant get the temp in mine down below 27 in the trop tank.

I did a water change yesterday and added water as cool as I could get away with, and the temp was 25, but it's right back up there again today. The heater is set on 25 so I am assuming that hasnt heated the water at all, so it must just be from the room temp etc.

I have the filters disturbing the top of the tank, air stone running etc, and the fish seem happy enough so I dont think it is causing any harm, but I was just wondering whether you still had high temps too or is it a Scouse phenomena Smile
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Tank Temps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Temps   Tank Temps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 1:12 am

Mine are fairly consistent at 25 or 27 depending which tank. That said the rooms with tanks have had fans running fairly often, doors open, lids open etc and the big tank only has a 300w heater (it is 600+litres) running at the mo. The 300l has a 150w and a 50w and the 200l has a 150w so technically 'under-heated' anyway.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Tank Temps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Temps   Tank Temps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 1:22 am

My tropical tanks seem to be fluctuating between 25C and 27C also but all fish seem fine so I'm not too concerned. The goldfish tank is 22C atm so I'm still floating the frozen bottles in there. Wink
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Tank Temps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Temps   Tank Temps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 2:43 am

all my tanks are set to 26*c as i find this is the best temp all round

the 4ft has a 150w heater set at 26*c and it never fluctuates but is in a large fair tall room so temp's tend not to go above 21*c even in the heat wave we had

marine pritty much the same the roof's are quite high also being set back into granite it is quite quite a steady temp

i think the problem most people have is they go for over rated heaters and set the temp to 24/25 and expect it not to heat up more than that but it will do

i am reading more and more about using lower watted heaters than the tank should have and the temp is steadier than haveing the rated one's
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

Tank Temps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Temps   Tank Temps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 12:10 pm

Thats why I use 2x 150W in my 200liter - as they are both at opposite ends - one near the intakes and the other by the outlets - i get a good control normal - my tanks are back to the 24/25 i usually keep them at.

My 70liter tank was supplied with a 150W heater (which theoretically is too big) BUT it remained the most stable during the heat wave - didnt go beyond 27c its usual temp is 25

I think the room the tanks are situated in have the main influence on the temp control - the next important factor being the water volumne of the system - my 20liter tank was the worst and had the most problems during the heatwave.

I had a plan for this tank so its not going to be a proble during heatwaves - nor will I have i have to worry about setting up next time i have fry -

Plumb it so its an extention of the main tank - ot at least it shares the filtration and thus temp control.

I probably wont ever get round to this but its something id like to be able to do - I dont want to bore holes in the galss for a start and i certainly refuse to pay £200 for one of those hang on things that enable sumps to be used without drilling.

I suppose the infrequency of heatwave means in all honesty - we ought to treat them as occasional problems - like power cuts
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Tank Temps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Temps   Tank Temps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 5:01 pm

my mine tank hit 28 at its worst but is now back to its usual 25 - and the smaller tank has never moved from 25 which i find odd - you would think the smaller volume of water would heat up first and quickly but if never did.

dekker
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Tank Temps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Temps   Tank Temps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 9:33 pm

rich make your own it isnt too bad to do their are couple of ways to do it

but have seen those hob one's on ebay for about $50 as well from the states

you only need a w sort of shape with circular tubes going from one side to the other with a air tube in the middle of the link pipe as this will stop any over flow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tank Temps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Temps   Tank Temps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tank Temps
Page 1 of 1