Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sorry you got it????

Go down 
+3
indigoj
Rich
Diana
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Sorry you got it???? Empty
PostSubject: Sorry you got it????   Sorry you got it???? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:49 pm

Just sitting looking at the tank, and for some reason the fish look really well today. You know when you get those days when they all look well fed, lovely colours (especially the rasboras for some reason), and are bombing round the tank obviously healthy Smile

I am pleased with the mix of fish I have at the mo, and am soooo glad that I dont have livebearers any more - I would NEVER buy them again.

So, I was wondering, is there a fish in your tank you wish you diidn't have, or have had in the past and would never get again???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sorry you got it????   Sorry you got it???? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 11:15 pm

same here any live bearers
and goldfish
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Sorry you got it????   Sorry you got it???? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 11:28 pm

Livebearers - too many sprogs

LDA33 Snowball - never see the blighter

Upside down cats - rarely see the blighters

Talking Cats - as above

Siamese fighters - heartbreaking to lose characterful fish especially when they are hand tame

Thats about it for now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Sorry you got it????   Sorry you got it???? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 3:54 am

With hindsight I would not have gouramis - they are pretty but not as lively or full of personality as I like.

In contrast to Rich I like the fish I rarely see as it makes seeing them more special.

I'm glad I have no livebearers anymore and also glad I finally sold my pair of Kribs - they were beautiful wonderful fish to keep but so violent when breeding (and prolific) that they were limiting other stocking.

For the future very much want plecs again, getting some baby BN next month Smile and more oddballs - particularly more Bichir and maybe snakeheads. Other half wants an Ogre Cat Shocked and I am considering a Betta as my 30l tank isn't selling so I may keep it and get a betta and some shrimp.
Back to top Go down
OwNz
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Sorry you got it????   Sorry you got it???? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 5:31 am

the only fish i didnt like that i got was convict cichlids jsut cause i could not get them to breed ! i ahte taking fish back tho but these had to go lol

other then that i loved all the fish i have had / given up.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Sorry you got it????   Sorry you got it???? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 9:19 am

I hated my Zebra Danios - they were so frenetic and just bullied everybody in the tank so I wasn't sorry to see them go. Ditto with a very bolshy male Molly. I liked my Platies (both male) though and was kind of sad when they died as they were a beautiful deep orange red colour and never gave any bother. Ditto with the blue Swordtails (both female) - so not all livebearers are problematic. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: Sorry you got it????   Sorry you got it???? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 12:23 pm

indigoj wrote:
I may keep it and get a betta and some shrimp.

Busted record again - but female bettas are noce as well - you can keep a few together with no real bother (the occasional nip here n there) dont be fooled by tghe dull brown n black you see in shops - this is the stress markings - when they are happy they come in all kinds of colours - and they can flick between the angry/stressed display tpo happy colours literally in a matter of seconds

Just a thought - pretty much the same conditions for females as males - ie no real current etc etc etc

Actually - in terms of gouramis - my three spot/golden are not exactly over exhuberant with character but they do have some personality - withthe exception of my plecs, these gourami are my biggest fish - they add a burst of colour - I havent had any problem with danios yet - they are in mith my kribs (in the smaller tank) - I have seen the female krib having a good go at any tetras that get too close to her cave - the male will only do this if he see's her doing it as well

Why do I get the feeling that one day, this will be a Kribs only tank Very Happy

If push came to shove - id put the galaxys back into the 30liter tank on their own (or maybe with some otos) and the rest in the big tank

My other regret in some ways - cory's - I dunno why really - but I wont be adding any more again (or replacing) I guess the novelty has just worn thin
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Sorry you got it????   Sorry you got it???? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 5:02 pm

My Kribs murdered several platies when breeding and attacked EVERY other fish that came within about 12". they ended up on their own before I sold them.

Female Bettas are nice, in many cases equally as pretty as males but I think 30l is too small for a group of them.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: Sorry you got it????   Sorry you got it???? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 9:42 pm

indigoj wrote:
My Kribs murdered several platies when breeding and attacked EVERY other fish that came within about 12". they ended up on their own before I sold them.

Female Bettas are nice, in many cases equally as pretty as males but I think 30l is too small for a group of them.

Id think 30liter tank could comfortably house 3 females - possibly 6 if they generally get on normally ie you dont have any overly dominant ones
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Sorry you got it????   Sorry you got it???? Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 3:24 am

i had some silver tip tetra's once and they tormented almost everything else in the tank
will never have them again.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Sorry you got it????   Sorry you got it???? Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 1:54 am

Dont think I have a hate list yet, although would give livebearers a miss like most on here it seems.

Have a 'would love' list though -

Galaxy Rasboras
Too many cichlids to mention - munchys fault because of all those nice piccs
Loads of plecs - big ones

Could go on but I wont Smile
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Sorry you got it????   Sorry you got it???? Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 4:51 am

no F.F go on like to hear what other keepers like and wish they had.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sorry you got it????   Sorry you got it???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sorry you got it????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FRESHWATER CHAT :: TROPICAL FRESHWATER TOPICS :: GENERAL FRESHWATER TOPICS-
Jump to: