Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A pic of my Senegal Bichir

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

A pic of my Senegal Bichir Empty
PostSubject: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:18 pm

A pic of my Senegal Bichir Bichir10
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Now thats a fish!!! Could you tell me a bit about them?? Is he quite peaceful? (You can tell I am planning my next tank Razz )
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Matty, they are fantastic fish to keep. I've just the one right now but they do well either singly or even better as a small group (more active and visible) They are peaceful but will eat any small fish, I wouldn't risk anything smaller than 3" with them once they reach 6". I kept them at various times with Gouramis, Rainbows, Climbing Perch, plecs and at the moment Oscars.

Very easy to keep as long as you have a tight fitting lid/sliders on your tank, grow to about 12" and eat pretty much anything from live/frozen bloodwork to algae wafers!
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Well they might just have to go on the "list!" Are they easy to get hold of? My planned tank is gonna be a nice big(ish) one 300-400L litres so i am looking for more interesting fish and he looks like a contender!! Smile
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:46 pm

Fairly easy to get - BAS in Bolton has had them in at 2.5" the last 2 summers, a few places can order them in easy enough too. (Even P@H but they are a bit expensive there)
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Cool! Might have to start researching tankmates Smile
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:55 pm

I've kept them with reedfish before too - now they are amazing fish!
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 5:16 pm

great looking fish indi never seen them before - they grow to a big size don't they

dekker
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 5:22 pm

About 12" max in captivity, up to about 18" in the wild.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 7:53 am

Oh I just love those. They're on my four foot wishlist. Smile
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

PostSubject: Re: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 4:01 pm

about 12'' need a good sized tank then and there wouldn't be much room for anything else
but 1 of them at 12'' you wouldn't need anything else.

great fish indi

dekker
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

PostSubject: Re: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 5:16 pm

Dekker, they are 12" long but not very wide and very flexible, they are not particularly aggressive either so don't need as much space as say a 12" Oscar. I keep the one above in a 4ft/200l tank with another bichir and 2 young Oscars (they are due to move at weekend)

I have kept 3 in the same tank with other fish with no problems. They are quite sociable with their own kind and the one in the pic hangs out with the oscars, even coming begging at feeding time like they do!
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

PostSubject: Re: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 7:41 pm

smashing indi not as big as they look then - in the pic they look a very chunky fish - opps sorry i will try to remember to put my glass's on in future. lol!

thanx indi..................dekker
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A pic of my Senegal Bichir   A pic of my Senegal Bichir Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A pic of my Senegal Bichir
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: ALL YOUR PHOTO'S :: FISHY PICS :: Plec and Bottomdweller Photo's-
Jump to: