Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DYING CORYS

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 11:19 pm

I am not happy today No

One of my favourite group of fish - the panda Cory's have more or less died out for some reason. I started with a group of 5, but lost 2 early on. The remaining 3 have been fine - growing well, look solid and active and eating and swimming round fine.

Yesterday, I realised that I could only see 2 of them. Had a quick search but there was no sign anywhere - I presume it had died overnight and been eaten. The remaining 2 looked fine, no sign of illness or disease and were swimming happily.

This morning, I have only got one, all on its own - no sign of its mate at all - presumably it too has been an overnight snack.

I hate it when this happens. The water stats are spot on - 0-0-15, no change in them at all, all the other fish are well, no lumps, bumps, spots etc.

I know I cant replace any of these for at least a month just to make sure that there isnt anything wrong - the experience of the Alien Tank taught me that!!!, but just hope that this single remaining cory doesn't die from the stress of being on its own for that time. He is just hiding in a corner at the moment No
Back to top Go down

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 11:57 pm

aww sorry Diane
its awfull when they die isant it
worse when you don't know why...

what do you do with the corpse? when you can find them
i know you are not suppose to use the loo.

i was thinking when Malc gets made redundant fri to keep him busy..
he is going to get the back garden re scaped,
i was thinking of having a little burial plot, with a big slab on the top.
some nice flowers round.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:52 am

Well, when one of the goldfish died, Taryn insisted on a funeral. We got a matchbox, made a little bed in it with a pillow made of kitchen roll, dud a hole in the garden and made a cross out of two twigs. We then had to have a few words and a respectful silence and covered the spot with an ornament taken from the tank Smile

Usually though, they go in the bin!
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 1:07 am

I put em in the bin as well (or the toasty maker if im hungry)

One of my skunk cories popped its clogs the other day for no apparent reason.

How long you have the cories? maybe they just died of old age? or (i doubt this) maybe they got an infection of somesort from the subtrate?

Anyway - the month cooling period is a sound one - you could also dose the tank with melafix and pimafix just to be sure
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 am

Its funny you mention the substrate because I did a poretty thorough tank clean the other day.

When I was giving the gravel a vac (I usually do 50% per week) I got a lot of small air bubbles coming from some areas as the gravel got disturbed. I know that you can get posckets of air in sand substrate, but have never seen it happen before in my tank.

I wonder if that is significant?
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 5:39 am

sorry to hear you lost one of your corys diana, hope all other tank mates are ok.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 6:13 am

that isnt air - its nitrogen gas (nitrous oxide?) - mine started doing that about 14 months into things - I have noticed the areas where its worst for me is wheree the food tends to settle.

Whewn I vac nowadays - I push a stick ito the substrate and go thru all of it to release the gas (like a rake) - only gently so as not to send the vacable stuff floating around - then do the gravel vac as normal afterwards.

It could be significant - im not sure.

It usually shows as a problme in planted tanks - when new fish die for no reason whilst established fish seem fine - having a tank full of fakes - in theory i shouldnt have the problem - but I do

Ho Hum
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 6:40 am

Funny you should mention the planted tank thing Rich, because a lot o the air (gas) came from round the roots of one of the plants. I will try your methods Oh Wise One and see if that helps respect
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 am

Awww, sorry to hear about the cories, Diana. How long have you had them?
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:29 am

If the concentration was around the roots - then nitrogen gas it is (not good for fish) but I dont think it should kill a cory without killing many more - even then - thyed have to be be 'sniffing' it - its possible - but well

anyway - it could simply just be one of those things dunno
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 3:31 am

Well wouldnt you know it. I have just come back from the shops and the 3 of them are sitting on a rock as large as life!! Embarassed

I dont know where the Hell they have been but I couldnt see them anywhere and they have been AWOL for days!!
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 8:35 am

I can strip my tank down (ie nothing but substrate and water) and my zebra loaches manage to hide somewhere

anyway - glad they are still lurking Wink
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 4:49 pm

glad your cory's have turned up diana, makes you feel a lot better dose'nt it.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 2:47 am

Maybe they had gone away for a few days holidays - to Coryfu maybe? Smile
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 5:44 am

hahaha hahaha nice one F.F

dekker
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 6:38 am

Who's a smarty pants then :rofl:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DYING CORYS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DYING CORYS   DYING CORYS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DYING CORYS
Page 1 of 1