Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

external or internal filter ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

external or internal filter ? Empty
PostSubject: external or internal filter ?   external or internal filter ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:19 am

when i got my fluval tank,i was told that a external filter was best ,to day i was at pet store and they had a 60 gallon fluval tank with internal filter and the guy said that internal was best,what dose forum think.ACER dunno
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: external or internal filter ?   external or internal filter ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:54 am

I dont have any external filters acer, I have fluval internals in both of my tanks. I find the internals easy to access and maintain so dont have a problem with them. I think if I was going to get a bigger tank I would go for an external filter though, just because I like the fact that it doesnt take up any tank space etc.

As for the advice from the lfs - I think it depends on how many of which they want to get rid of at any one time Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: external or internal filter ?   external or internal filter ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:10 am

just had a look on ebay, there fluval 60 gallon comes with internal as well,Mmm scratch
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: external or internal filter ?   external or internal filter ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:14 am

Righty - im afraid this is somewhat a subjective area - there are many variables and thus pros n cons - this doesnt just mean between external and internal (assuming were only talking 'power filters') - but (for example) some externals are better than others -same for internals (and anything else in life) so ones personal view may depend on which filters they have used - and believe me - ive had some real duffers of both.

So - in MY view - the pros of externals (as a general rule)

They add extra water volume to your system (depending on the size of the filter)

They dont look ugly inside your tank or take up swimming room for the fish

They are somewhat easier to modify for your own uses - ie (for example) if you want to use carbon or other resin type media for chemicals.

Generally (depending on make n model) they are not fussy about the media you can use - you dont have to use brand x media all the time in order to fit the filter.

They dont clog up quite so quickly (clogging in terms of the media) due to physical size and thus amount of media. Like wise - they can hold more media for more biofiltration - thus allow for 'overstocking' (within reason)

More expensive externals can also house UV filters and the heater (as well as being able to run external devices such as these by using the outlet piping from the filter) whic further improves water quality and lessens the visible hardware in the tank.

However - negatives

Pipes (mainly inlets) can and do clog up with algae which can be a pain to clean out (and I had a hard time finding 1m pipe brushes for mine)

They can be a little unforgiving - if they get a bit bunged up - the flow is greatly reduced. General cleaning/maintainence of externals is somewhat more time consuming/complicated than for internals.

Priming them can be a pain (that means filling the system with water to get the whole thing running) and because of this - extra care needs to be given to making sure seals etc are fine.

Generally parts are more expensive as too are the filters as a whole (and media).

During/following power failures - the filters can sometimes reverse flow - ie your outlet becomes the inlet and visa versa - 'so what' ive heard ppl say - umm - have they not seen the bottom of a well established external filter? - it will pump a pile of nasty goo, fish poo and algae back into your tank - many modern filters are designed to stop this from happening - but not all - even some of the top brands are still able to reverse flow so if your power fails and comes back on - be sure to be there and make sure the filter isnt doing the wrong thing.

Not really fry friendly - and if you have loaches - its possible fo rthem to end up in your filter too (ive had zebra laches do this and khuli loaches are even better as this sort of trick)

Internal filters - well - pros -

no pipes to clean and no reverse flow worries - likewise as they are submersible - no seals etc to worry about, and no messing about with priming.

Generally use less electricity and often (ha ha) quieter (depends on make n model as with many things)

Easier to alter the flow rate (output and direction of flow) so you can create currents in the tank to suit your (or the fish's) needs.

Few parts to wear out - generally just the impellor n shafts.

Cons to internals

Less choice of media - your often forced to use the sme brand of media. Also - on most, its harder to customise the filter meda - altho the eheim aquaball is designed to be able to house almost any meda as the media holders are seperate clip on baskets, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Many internals only house the main sponge (for biological and coarse filtration) and perhaps a smaller fine floss pad to take out little bits.

They clog more easily thus the flow rate can be reduced quite quickly.

Take up space within the tank and can look quite obtrusive too.

It can be quite a 'wet' job to service an internal filter (dripping water all over the place) and some filters, when switched off and removed from the tank - can drop alot of muck back into the tank as you take it out - even if you do it quicky.

I have put what I can think of from personal experience - after two years - ive taken to using externals for my bio flitration (thus a heavily stocked tank) and internals for my mechanical filtration - i dont use carbon - not even after meds so chemicalfiltration is not an issue for me.

At the end of the day - you have to be honest about how much 'agro' you are prepared to deal with and how often - if you dont fancy stripping piping and cleaning it (takes me two hours once a fortnight rto do my two externals top to toe) then internals will be the best route - but they do need to be cleaned weekly.

You have to make your decisions and go from there.

All just my opinios and others will have there own - no one is right or wrong - its what suits them best

Hope this helps (doubt it tho)
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: external or internal filter ?   external or internal filter ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks for advice,i will stay with external if i get a bigger tank. thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: tanks   external or internal filter ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:17 am

I meant to ask if you new who had the best deals on tanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: external or internal filter ?   external or internal filter ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:12 pm

have you had a look in your local lfs acer - some of them have good ranges/prices, but online there are a few that deliver - here's one but have never used them.

http://www.aquariumsdelivered.co.uk/catalog/index.php?osCsid=8qt8vdnuid0s13eg2k077usdj1
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: external or internal filter ?   external or internal filter ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:25 pm

thats a great link diana got me licking my lips for another tank in summer,
just got to work on O.H now.

dekker
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: external or internal filter ?   external or internal filter ? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:47 pm

i had a fluval3 in E's 3ft tank before
it was a brilliant filter and every now and then if would puff really fine bubbles out
great to see.
and it was really quite.im getting the big fluval roma from here>>

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/fluval-aquariums-and-cabinets/fluval-roma-aquariums/page-1.html

it comes with a external filter.
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: external or internal filter ?   external or internal filter ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 10:31 pm

I'd go external everytime for big messy fish, they are a bit more hassle but I think the better filtration is worth it.

The internals I use are Aqua-el filters, very powerful not too pricey and perfect for up to about 150l with normal size fish.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: external or internal filter ?   external or internal filter ? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 8:45 pm

Wow lots of opinions!! I would generally tend to stay with internals for smaller tanks but i have found them particularly useful for their large volumes for filter media which is great when you need to add certain chemicals or minerals and still maintain the bacteria's surface area etc...

As for tanks I have always found http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/ to be excellent! Great service and deliveries and a very wide range of products Smile
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: external or internal filter ?   external or internal filter ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

external or internal filter ?
Page 1 of 1