Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How often do you water change.??

Go down 
+2
dekker
Diana
6 posters
AuthorMessage

How often do you water change.?? Empty
PostSubject: How often do you water change.??   How often do you water change.?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 9:59 pm

I used to do 2 buckets with the 3ft tank every wed..
seemed to keep it ok.

now with the big tank i do 4 buckets every wed.......
this takes me about 20 mins.
as a couple of buckets don't make a impression,
but 4 takes it down to just above the filter nossel
this seems to be ok as when i check stats all fine.

i also have a clean round with the gravel cleaner,
and then catch any floaters with the net.
with just having the one fish, its not too bad
as you can catch Elvis's poo poo easy with the net.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: How often do you water change.??   How often do you water change.?? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:39 am

I take out about 1/3rd of the water every week, and gravel vac 50% of the substrate each week. I also wash the filter medium every week otherwise they clog up.

About once every 2 months or thereabouts I take out the ornaments and bogwood and vac under them too and remove all the snails that have hidden inside them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How often do you water change.??   How often do you water change.?? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:45 am

Thanks Diane
i havan't washed the filter med as yet with it being almost new.
i still have the old peice in there from the other tank.
i will take that out soon.
or maybe leave it in there in case i get the other tank.!!
or is that cheating..lol
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: How often do you water change.??   How often do you water change.?? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 6:23 am

i do a water change once a week on both tanks about 30% a quick vac and everything else takes about 40 mins and i really enjoy the job.

by the way chez i dont think its cheating.

dekker
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How often do you water change.??   How often do you water change.?? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 7:26 am

I do it every week too but do sometimes wonder if it would be ok to leave it and do it every 2 weeks because the water stays spot on for 2 weeks so am I giving myself extra unecesary work to do?
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: How often do you water change.??   How often do you water change.?? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 9:59 am

Filters are done twice a month (depending on flow)

Generally I do a 20% change of the main tank weekly and a 40% change of the 30litre galaxy tank weekly.

My BN sproglet tank gets a 10-20% daily change but the water going back in is 50/50 new tap water and water from either the main or galaxy tanks

Before any gravel vac and water changes - i run a stick thru all the gravel to make sure no nitrogen gas pockets develop (dangerous to fish) and then a thourough vac of all gravel that is in the open (after the algae has been removed from glass) and i remove all decore and vac under that etc every three months or so.
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How often do you water change.??   How often do you water change.?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 9:30 pm

I usually do my water change on Sunday, take out about 1/3, vac all the gravel and wash the filter about ever 2 weeks
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How often do you water change.??   How often do you water change.?? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 5:44 am

50% weekly on both the main tank & the growing on tank. In the kitchen tanks it's about 15% daily to keep them clean & fresh.
We only do this as they are tiny fry, when they are big enough they go into the bigger fry tank
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: How often do you water change.??   How often do you water change.?? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 10:31 am

I change 30-40% weekly, gravel vac fortnightly, clean the filter media and spray bars monthly and the impeller and pipework on a quarterly basis. A fairly regular maintenance routine which helps to keep the water quality tip top and the tanks in great condition. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How often do you water change.??   How often do you water change.?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How often do you water change.??
Page 1 of 1