Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pearl Gouramis

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Pearl Gouramis Empty
PostSubject: Pearl Gouramis   Pearl Gouramis Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 10:25 am

My trio of Pearl Gouramis (1M:2F) obliged me over the weekend by staying still so I could take a few photos. Wink

The first one was taken with the flash on...

Pearl Gouramis 3001078556_4023dfdb48

...and the other four with the flash off just to show the difference. Wink

Pearl Gouramis 3001078840_64765735c5
Pearl Gouramis 3001078754_b105a498e0
Pearl Gouramis 3000239113_9bf9f41dc2
Pearl Gouramis 3000238881_7a55fef9dd

Last edited by Mary on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Pearl Gouramis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gouramis   Pearl Gouramis Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 8:27 pm

wow beautifull
and brilliant clear photos
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Pearl Gouramis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gouramis   Pearl Gouramis Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 8:38 pm

I see you have got to grips with your camera ok now Mary Very Happy Great photo's, lovely fish and what a great green carpet covering your tank Smile
Back to top Go down
Scales
Scales

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Pearl Gouramis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gouramis   Pearl Gouramis Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 5:41 am

Those are very nice fish Mary.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Pearl Gouramis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gouramis   Pearl Gouramis Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 9:33 am

Diana wrote:
what a great green carpet covering your tank

My floating plants which have gone mental...but give a nice subdued lighting effect which is what the Pearl Gouramis prefer. Wink

Re: the camera. Still having to fiddle with some of the settings but I'm getting there. Smile
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Pearl Gouramis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gouramis   Pearl Gouramis Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:10 pm

hi mary just seen these pics i also have pearl gouramis they are beautiful fish,
your photos of yours are stunning well done.

dekker
Back to top Go down

Pearl Gouramis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gouramis   Pearl Gouramis Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:52 pm

mmmm i love these fish....
now are they peacefull? do they breed like rabbits?
how big tank do they need?
shall i keep the fluval rena 90 i have on ebay??????...lol
it makes me want to when i see set ups like this
and the carpet plants look brill.........
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

Pearl Gouramis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gouramis   Pearl Gouramis Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:39 pm

the fluval/rena 90 would be fine for a pair ot two of gouramis - plus there are 'dwarf' versions as well

Yes they re peaceful - eventually - when theyve sorted out the pecking order etc - mine were bullies towards platys when i first got them as the colouring were similar to the gouramis (I have gold morph 3 spot gouramis) but once they grew a bit and realised the platys werent rivals - they backed (with some help from the five fingered terror Very Happy)

Mone are a little shy - thye come out for me but will hide for 'strangers' and they do like to feel secure and love to hide in caves and under plants - my fake plants I put in for my butterfly fish seemed to have helped the gouramis too - although it may be a fact that surface dwellers help them feel secure anyway (ive heard that ABF's are excellent with angelfish as 'dither fish')

Anyway - i think they have great characters and a good choice for the 90liter

BTW - they are a close relation to siamese fighting fish so dont be bothered by them air breathing at the surface - it isnt a water problem or anything Wink
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
dekker
dekker

Pearl Gouramis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gouramis   Pearl Gouramis Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:06 am

nice article rich my pearls are very peaceful they dont bother any other fish and no other fish bother them, a great choice for a community tank.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Pearl Gouramis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gouramis   Pearl Gouramis Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:47 am

dekker wrote:
hi mary just seen these pics i also have pearl gouramis they are beautiful fish,
your photos of yours are stunning well done.

Thank you. Some of my favourite fish. Very Happy

chez wrote:
mmmm i love these fish....now are they peacefull? do they breed like rabbits?
how big tank do they need?

Very peaceful, almost timid. The minimum recommended ratio is 1M:2F and for Pearl Gouramis (Trichogaster leeri), you need a 120L tank (three foot) minimum, I would say as they grow quite large. They breed the same way as Siamese Fighter Fish i.e. the male makes a bubble nest to hold the fertilized eggs. Normally, you have to induce breeding by setting up specific conditions. Although my male P.G. gets a brilliant orange throat during breeding season, he doesn't do much more than chase the females a little bit. More info here.

For smaller tanks, I'd recommend Honey Gouramis (Colisa chuna) as they're peaceful enough if kept in the correct ratio. I have a pair of those also but I couldn't find a second female so I had to segragate the male into another tank as he incessantly chased the single female. The same goes for a pair of Dwarfs (Colisa lalia)that I had (alas, now deceased). Steer clear of Three Spot Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus and its colour variants - Blue, Opaline, Golden). It has the well deserved reputation of being quite an aggressive species. silent
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Pearl Gouramis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gouramis   Pearl Gouramis Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 7:40 pm

honey gouramis are a beautiful little fish colour is stunning.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pearl Gouramis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gouramis   Pearl Gouramis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pearl Gouramis
Page 1 of 1