Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Blobby Problem

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Blobby Problem Empty
PostSubject: Blobby Problem   Blobby Problem Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 3:39 am

Now this is going to sound a bit silly, but I need someone to id something that is going on in my tank.

I have just done a good blitz of the tank, and the bogwood, stones and filter had loads of clear, jelly like blobs all over them, about the size of a 5p or 1p piece. There was no sign of any eggs inside it, and they were all transparent so it would have been easy to see if there had been. I rinsed them all off just in case.

I also found strings of jelly with little tiny white dots (presumably eggs) inside, some stuck to the glass on the side of the tank, some on the bogwood, which I mashed so they didnt hatch.

So, I am assuming the stringy egg things are snails eggs because I am having a major outbreak of snails at the moment for some reason, but what are the clear jelly blobby things??

The only other thing to throw in the mix is I have cherry barbs which are egg layers, but I cant see the string of eggs being from them as they were stuck to the glass and I dont think they do stuff like that.

Right--------over to you now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Blobby Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blobby Problem   Blobby Problem Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 8:22 am

Not a clue but sounds ewwwwwwwwww.... Blobby Problem 36977
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Blobby Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blobby Problem   Blobby Problem Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 8:29 am

I felt the same Mary, especially as about half an hour after cleaning everything there were two more strings of eggs nestling on the bogwood Mad
Back to top Go down

Blobby Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blobby Problem   Blobby Problem Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 6:05 am

that does sound a bit gross!! Could the jelly blobs be stringy bits but once the eggs have hatched out dunno
Back to top Go down

Blobby Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blobby Problem   Blobby Problem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 9:41 pm

Thats exactly what they are evie - good guess Very Happy

Snails leave a blob of jelly initially (and these can be quite big sometimes) and after a few days you will start to see little white blobs in it which are the eggs. Once the eggs have hatched you are left with the blobby bit but that disappears after a few days.

looks like you are having an outbreak of snail hanky pankky eyebrows
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blobby Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blobby Problem   Blobby Problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blobby Problem
Page 1 of 1