Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

bloated cory

Go down 
+2
Mary
alison
6 posters
AuthorMessage
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 6:29 am

I have 4 bronze corys in my big tank and was cleaning it out today and testing the water when I noticed one of the corys laying down up against the front of the tank. Usually when you go up to the tank they fly around all over the place, so I kept watching him and he just stayed there, then I noticed he looked very bloated and his eyes were bulging out . He has been like that all night just on the bottom of the tank , he is breathing very quickly as well. I have dosed the tank with Interpret no 9 but I am not sure what else to do for him, when I tested the water this morning the results were nitrite 0 amm 0 nitrate 20 . The other cories are keeping away fron him as well, any ideas?.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 7:42 am

Do you have a Q tank, alison? If not, it might be worth investing in one as it's usually a good idea to isolate a sick fish. The "bloating" could be due to some kind of internal infection and the bulging eyes sounds like popeye. In which case, Interpet No. 9 is the recommended treatment but IME it's not always effective. Just keep an eye on the poor little guy and if he gets any worse, it might be kinder to euthanize him. silent
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks mary he was upside down last night when I went to bed but when I got up this morning he was still alive ,sitting in the corner. I really thought he would have died during the night ,I will keep an eye on him today and see how it goes. He looked like a football yesterday with the bloating I hope the interpret will kick in and help will keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 7:48 pm

just out of curiosity how does one "euthanize" a fish humanely?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Hiya big greeny, there are lots of different views on this - some people believe a bash on the head is the most humane, but not everyone feels able to do that.

There is a method using Clove Oil and Vodka which works really well, is easy, safe and doesnt cause the fish any suffering which is good. I have used it several times and the fish dont get distressed at all - here's a link for an article on it.

https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com/tropical-aquarium-articles-f55/putting-fish-to-sleep-t1961.htm
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 8:49 pm

alison wrote:
I have 4 bronze corys in my big tank and was cleaning it out today and testing the water when I noticed one of the corys laying down up against the front of the tank. Usually when you go up to the tank they fly around all over the place, so I kept watching him and he just stayed there, then I noticed he looked very bloated and his eyes were bulging out . He has been like that all night just on the bottom of the tank , he is breathing very quickly as well. I have dosed the tank with Interpret no 9 but I am not sure what else to do for him, when I tested the water this morning the results were nitrite 0 amm 0 nitrate 20 . The other cories are keeping away fron him as well, any ideas?.

Probably a stupid question ali, but it's not dropsy is it? Are his scales smooth or pineconey?
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 9:14 pm

This morning his scales do look like they are sticking out
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 11:11 pm

Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 8:56 am

is it ok now alison - was it dropsy or something else?
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:54 pm

I found him dead yesterday morning so I have cleaned out the tank and done a head count , so far thats the only death but I will be keeping an eye on the other residents just in case.
Back to top Go down

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 4:59 am

Thats a shame alison - I hope your other fish all stay well.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:39 am

sounds like it was dropsy - sorry to hear that he didnt make it alison
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 7:39 am

alison wrote:
I found him dead yesterday morning so I have cleaned out the tank and done a head count , so far thats the only death but I will be keeping an eye on the other residents just in case.

Sorry to hear that, alison. If he was that far gone though, it was prob for the best. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

bloated cory Empty
PostSubject: Re: bloated cory   bloated cory Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

bloated cory
Page 1 of 1