Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

more newbie questions

Go down 
AuthorMessage

more newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: more newbie questions   more newbie questions Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 3:44 am

sorry about this but I just want to make sure I have everything sorted properly.

I think I have a tankstand sorted which is good news, and I will go to the local Homebase for some ammonia over the weekend. I

I have read bits on cycling a tank but am still not sure what to do. What is the best thing to test for - ammonia or nitrate? Can you buy test kits for just them or do you have to buy big kits that test for millions of things? Do you set the tank up before starting the cycle, or wait until it's finished?

Sorry if these are daft questions Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

more newbie questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: more newbie questions   more newbie questions Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 6:53 am

Not daft at all. Your best bet is to get an API Master Test Kit. It's cheaper to buy online either at an aquatics website such as on here or even on ebay.

For the water to be safe for the fish, the ammonia and nitrite levels BOTH need to be zero which is why the fishless cycle is so important for setting up the tank properly. The nitrate level isn't so important initially but, once the tank is cycled, it should be kept as low as possible.
Back to top Go down

more newbie questions
Page 1 of 1