Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vanished Otos

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Vanished Otos Empty
PostSubject: Vanished Otos   Vanished Otos Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 9:59 am

Well, while I was away, the four Otos in my three foot tank all vanished. I have eight more in other tanks and they're all fine so I'm a bit puzzled as to why these particular four perished. Just to note that I've had a lot of problems keeping plants alive in that tank - apart from Java Fern - so I'm wondering if the two things are connected?
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Vanished Otos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vanished Otos   Vanished Otos Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Oh they could be. How do your stats in there compare to the other tanks? Not necessarily Ammonia/NitrIte but NitrAte, Ph, Kh etc? Do you have anything different in there such as substrate? Wood? or an ornament made out of something different?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Vanished Otos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vanished Otos   Vanished Otos Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 10:35 pm

Unfortunately, I lost all my Excel tank stats. when the old laptop died in the great milk spillage accident... Rolling Eyes

If memory serves me correct, the GH is the same in all the tanks - about 5-6. Can't remember the KH but I'll test the water later on and let you know. It did drop low for a while so I had to buffer the tanks to increase it.

I've read alright that Otos are quite sensitive to water chemistry so it would make sense that something like that wiped them out. I have similar fake ornaments in all the tanks but they're all made by a leading aquarium supply company so I'm assuming they're all ok.

Apart from that, it's the usual rocks and bogwood. The rocks are all sedimentary/igneous (volcanic) in origin i.e. no limestones/metallic ores so AFAIK they're all ok too. Unless my Geology is very rusty...:lol:
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Vanished Otos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vanished Otos   Vanished Otos Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 4:58 am

That's a bit of a sod Mary, sorry to hear that, but at least all the other fish are doing ok, which is good to see after a holiday.

It does seem strange that you have had problrms with the plants in that tank too though.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Vanished Otos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vanished Otos   Vanished Otos Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 6:01 am

I think it's an Oto thing. Mine disappeared when i was on holiday too Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Vanished Otos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vanished Otos   Vanished Otos Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 6:11 am

Perhaps they just pine! :lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vanished Otos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vanished Otos   Vanished Otos Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vanished Otos
Page 1 of 1