Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cherry Barbs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Cherry Barbs Empty
PostSubject: Cherry Barbs   Cherry Barbs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 7:58 pm

I would like to add some cherry barbs to my tank. What is the best amunt to get (m/f), how do you sex them. The pictures I have seen of them show them as bright red but the ones in the fish shop are quite dullish - would they be the females?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Cherry Barbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Barbs   Cherry Barbs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 10:12 pm

Well when I bought my Cherry Barbs, the LFS guy was adamant that he knew how to sex them. I asked for one male and three females and ended up with...four males! Rolling Eyes

The males are a bright orangey/red when mature and have a broken horizontal stripe. The females are a dull brown and have a more solid horizontal stripe. Minimum recommended ratio would be 1M:3F. Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Cherry Barbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Barbs   Cherry Barbs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 10:16 pm

I did the same Mary - wanted males and ended up with 1 male, 2 females and then later on babies too :lol:

I think when you see them in the lfs they dont have much in the way of colour - probably because of the stress they are under, but once they have settled in your tank they will colour up and become really lovely little fish.

The males are more colourful, but I think even the females are really pretty.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Cherry Barbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Barbs   Cherry Barbs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 10:19 pm

Diana wrote:
I think when you see them in the lfs they dont have much in the way of colour - probably because of the stress they are under, but once they have settled in your tank they will colour up and become really lovely little fish.

True. That's why you should look at the horizontal stripe as well as it's more pronounced in the females. Very pretty fish though and I love my little quartet. Smile
Back to top Go down

Cherry Barbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Barbs   Cherry Barbs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 11:13 pm

Thanks for that - they are peaceful fish arent they - I know some barbs can be a bit aggressive cant they?
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Cherry Barbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Barbs   Cherry Barbs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 11:17 pm

Yes they are really peaceful jammy, good community fish
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cherry Barbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Barbs   Cherry Barbs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cherry Barbs
Page 1 of 1