Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cycle Info

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

cycle - Cycle Info Empty
PostSubject: Cycle Info   cycle - Cycle Info Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 5:31 am

I am 10 days into the fishless cycle now, and todays readings are ammonia 2 (doses back up with ammonia), nitrite 2. I havent been measuring ph or nitratebecause I dont think they matter much at this stage do they?

I have ordered some plants for the tank online, but I am wondering now what to do with them. If I plant them will they mess up the cycle and if so how much, and if I dont plant them how will I keep them alive?
Back to top Go down

cycle - Cycle Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle Info   cycle - Cycle Info Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:18 am

Couldnt you just keep them in a bucket of warm water and feed them rusty. I'm only guessing by the way!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

cycle - Cycle Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle Info   cycle - Cycle Info Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:36 am

Adding plants during the cycling process isn't generally recommended as they slow down the process due to the fact that they absorb a certain amount of the nitrates. If possible, delay delivery until after the cycle is over. Alternatively, do as tardis suggested but I've never done this for more than a couple of days so I'm not sure if they'd survive without the tank lights. Wink
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

cycle - Cycle Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle Info   cycle - Cycle Info Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:45 am

Put them in a window sill, they should be fine. I had some in a jug for a couple of weeks, they lived Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

cycle - Cycle Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle Info   cycle - Cycle Info Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 8:34 am

I bow to those with more experience... respect :lol:
Back to top Go down

cycle - Cycle Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle Info   cycle - Cycle Info Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Can someone explain to me why the plants mess up the cycle though? If it is because they use up the nitrates, isnt that the end result of the cycle process? The waste product sort of thing?

It wouldnt matter if the plants used that up would it because the bacteria numbers would still be building up in the filter because of the ammonia and nitrite wouldnt they?

Or am I getting this all mixed up scratch
Back to top Go down

cycle - Cycle Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle Info   cycle - Cycle Info Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 8:47 pm

Thats a good question rusty. I wonder if the plants do use up some of the other stuff too and so slow down the bacteria growing?? Hopefully one of the experts will come on soon and let us know! :lol:
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

cycle - Cycle Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle Info   cycle - Cycle Info Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 9:27 pm

Mary wrote:
Having plants in the tank during a cycle will slow it down because they absorb a certain amount of the ammonia etc. so they compete with the filter bacteria for the same source. However, when the
cycle is completed, a planted tank has the advantage of absorbing the excess nitrates that are the end product of the nitrogen cycle.

Rusty...have a look in the aquatic plants section, there are a few posts by other members which might help
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

cycle - Cycle Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle Info   cycle - Cycle Info Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 6:13 am

There is a load of info on another thread which is really interesting - on how to avoid having to do the fshless cycle but loads of plants are used instead. Cant remember the name of the thread, but it's really interesting, worth a read. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

cycle - Cycle Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle Info   cycle - Cycle Info Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 6:46 am

Just found it tardis - it was in egans thread - here's the link

https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com/tropical-beginners-forum-f20/am-i-cycled-t1173.htm
Back to top Go down

cycle - Cycle Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle Info   cycle - Cycle Info Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 3:32 am

Thats an interesting read Angel, I would be tempted to try that if I was getting another tank. I think if you seeded the new tanks filter and then heavily planted that would be a good way to get fish early on.

Now to save for a big tank! :lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

cycle - Cycle Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle Info   cycle - Cycle Info Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cycle Info
Page 1 of 1