Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do I need to cycle

Go down 
AuthorMessage

cycle - Do I need to cycle Empty
PostSubject: Do I need to cycle   cycle - Do I need to cycle Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Hello, first post so go easy! :lol:

I have got a second tank, its a 120litre tank and I have been given all the gravel, ornaments and filter from the previous owner. Is it ok if I just fill it with water and add the fish or will I have to cycle it? Would the bacteria still be alive on the ornaments and gravel?

Also I have a small 60litre tank, if I put the ornament and some of the gravel from that in the new one would that help the cycle?

Thanks everyone, nice to be here.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

cycle - Do I need to cycle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do I need to cycle   cycle - Do I need to cycle Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 10:14 pm

Hi Benny. Nice to meet you. Well, it all depends on whether or not the filter sponges were kept moist and the tank was set up while the filter bacteria were still viable. If not, then you will have to generate a filter bacteria source in the 120L tank and the easiest way to do this is to put some of the filter material in the 60L filter.

This is how I cycled my second tank. I kept the new filter sponges in the old tank for a couple of weeks beforehand to "seed" with bacteria before I put them into the new tank. It might be worth doing that if you have the room in the filter.

Alternatively, after about two weeks, you could always divide the sponges between the two tanks and have half new (120L), half old (60L) in each. You could then slowly stock the 120L tank i.e. no more than 1-2 fish a week.

It is, in essence cycling with fish but the fact you have access to established filter material means that it won't take as long as a conventional cycle. Keep testing the water and do water changes if there are any traces of ammonia or nitrite and you should be ok.
Back to top Go down

Do I need to cycle
Page 1 of 1