Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cycle question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

cycle - Cycle question Empty
PostSubject: Cycle question   cycle - Cycle question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 3:27 am

Hiya everyone, hope you dont mind me asking you about my fishless cycle. For a few days now I have had an Ammonia of 0 and my nitrite is steady at about 3 ish. Thinsg is that this has been the case for about a week now and nothing else seems to be happening. I have dropped the amount of Ammonia I am adding down to 2 but still nothing is moving.

Am I doing sonmething wrong? scratch
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Cycle question   cycle - Cycle question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 6:36 am

it seems to have stalled a bit Carole... i'd change about 10% of the water (remember to dechlor the new water) and see if that gees it up a bit

(Ooohhh i don't pop over to the cold side often, it's chilly in here cycle - Cycle question Snowflake)
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Cycle question   cycle - Cycle question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 6:41 am

Carole, are you having to add ammonia every day now? If you are, and it is going down from 2 to 0 every day then that shows that the bacteria is converting the ammonia effectively. It could just be that for whatever reason the bacteria that converts the nitrite isnt up to scratch yet. Have you checked your Nitrate at all.

I bow to MC's huge knowledge respect , but I would be tempted to leave it a bit longer. I cant see any reason why things shouldnt sort themselves out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cycle question   cycle - Cycle question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 12:55 am

Hiya and thanks. Well I think things are going ok again because I have tested my tank today and got Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0.5, so I am hoping tomorrow it will be cycled. Thanks everyone for all your help :lol:
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Cycle question   cycle - Cycle question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 2:06 am

Oh well done carole, nearly there!! After you get your 0-0 readings for the first time, keep dosing your tank as you are doing for a couple of days just to make sure that the readings stay the same.

After you have the 0-0 for two days on the trot, then do your 80% water change and get your fish.

cycle - Cycle question 16_5_40cycle - Cycle question 16_5_3v cycle - Cycle question 16_5_4v cycle - Cycle question 16_5_40
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Cycle question   cycle - Cycle question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:14 am

Good on you carole. It'sgood to be at the end of it. Are you getting another goldy when its done?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cycle question   cycle - Cycle question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cycle question
Page 1 of 1