Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sexing Blue Acara

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Sexing Blue Acara Empty
PostSubject: Sexing Blue Acara   Sexing Blue Acara Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 3:56 am

Hello Y'all!

Anyone got any ideas how to sex blue acara? I have recently acquired 4 juveniles around 2.5" long. It looks like ive got two males and two females as they are brighter than the others. The 'males' have bright organe spots along their caudal fins and the females dont. They seem to be duller in general colour too. They are all lovely fish and im hoping theyll grow pretty big!!!

Im hoping Munchy might know????

Thanks guys

Rob x
Back to top Go down

Sexing Blue Acara Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sexing Blue Acara   Sexing Blue Acara Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 5:51 am

i guess shell be on later rob and will be able to tell you.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Sexing Blue Acara Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sexing Blue Acara   Sexing Blue Acara Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 6:42 am

Hi Rob...long time no see!!

Blue Acara... the males anal fin is wider than that of the females. The males dorsal fin is also longer and pointed, whereas the females is more rounded. I think it's difficult if they are juvies though Rob

In my own experience, it's the males that are more colourful but obviously my cichlids are african not central/south american so that might not necessarily be true. I will have a google & see if I can find any male/female pics Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

Sexing Blue Acara
Page 1 of 1