Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

fishless cycle

Go down 
AuthorMessage

cycle - fishless cycle Empty
PostSubject: fishless cycle   cycle - fishless cycle Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 1:12 am

Hiya everyone, can I just check a couple of things with you please? I am doing the fishless cycle and so far it has been going ok I think. I have been topping up with ammonia up the about 4ppm, and have been getting a reading of ammonia and now nitrite too which I think is a good sign.

What I want to know though is how do you know when you have had the nitrite spike? I know that it sounds as if the nitrite shoots up really high, but I have read that it doesnt always do this so how do you know when to taper off the ammonia dosing?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

cycle - fishless cycle Empty
PostSubject: Re: fishless cycle   cycle - fishless cycle Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 2:32 am

Well done on all this carole, you seem to be getting on with things well. Did you put some muck from your current tank filter over the new one by the way - I cant remember!

To be honest, I didnt get much of a nitrite spike although I know some people do get a big rise in numbers. I just waited for the nitrite to start going down and assumed that the 'spike' had happened, and it all worked out ok.
Back to top Go down

fishless cycle
Page 1 of 1