Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Empty
PostSubject: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 10:45 pm

So FINALLY going to take the plunge, been fishkeeping for NEARLY a year now and with 4 tanks and all kinds of fish ive decided to breed my siamese fighters!

As he had already built a bubble nest (i dont know why lol) i put my female betta in a little plastic tank next to his, she then got the white spot (is it a gravid spot or something?) and has gone slightly pale with stripes.

Put her into his tank and he instantly flared up at her. Shes hiding at the min but hes making his bubble nest bigger!! yay yay

Will post an update when something happens...i feel like a pervert watching them mate lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 10:47 pm

Really interesting watching him make the bubbles. It looks like he takes a gulp of air, then spits it out into his nest to make more bubbles. Its really cute!

Now shes coming out of hiding and has vertical stripes down her side, instead of horizontal and is swimming after HIM Very Happy

Now theyre chasing each other around the tank...
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 10:52 pm

Female fighter:
Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Female10

Male Fighter:

Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Fighte10
Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Malefi10
Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Male10
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 11:49 pm

Oh thats great phishy, I look forward to reading and seeing how you do Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 11:51 pm

he's still adding to his bubble nest, bless him.
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 12:29 am

As Rob said, about it best to have no substrate so its easier for male fighter to find the eggs that fall, do you think i should push it to the side and leave the corner where the eggs are with no gravel??
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 1:52 am

Oh good luck with the breeding, Phishy. Let us know how it goes. Smile
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 1:42 am

Oooh good luck phishy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 7:09 am

oooh Good Luck!

IMO I would push the substrate aside, make it as easy as possible on the lil chappie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:34 pm

Hey,

Good luck on taking the plunge with them. Did you move the substrate? Its not too muhc of a problem but can just make it easier for him to catch the babies when they fall after hatching.

Have fun with them. I know of a woman who breeds microworms to feed the babies if you want her email address?

Robx
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 8:28 pm

The wonderer returns...lol. Long time no speak!!

Yes, i have moved the substrate but hes still building his nest? And the females gone into hiding in the plants at the mo cos he chases her when he sees her. Is this normal??
And yes, email would be great, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 10:44 pm

Oh I really look forward to reading how this goes phishy, and seeing some more pics too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 4:25 am

Hiya Phishy,

Yeah its normal for him to chase her around. Bettas have quite rough s*x really. the roughest of any fish ive ever seen. lol

Im guessing by the fact that its been a couple of days that you might have eggs now?

Ill drop you Sue's email through PM and you can see if she still has microworms. She never even charged me for mine lol.

Good Luck with them and ill keep checking in to see how its all going.

Have Fun!

Rob x
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 7:57 am

Well I dont know whats happening atm to be honest! His bubble nest seemed to have gone down yesterday, now hes built it back up again and shes still hiding in the plants.

So I dont know whether to wait another week again or buy the breeding trap thing to re-introduce her to him and see is her white spot thing returns...any ideas??
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm

phishy07 wrote:
i put my female betta in a little plastic tank next to his, she then got the white spot (is it a gravid spot or something?)

It's called an Ovipositor - as the names suggests, it's where the eggs emerge from. Wink

The first time I noticed it, I panicked thinking she had Ich... Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 10:48 pm

Female fighters inspect the nest of the male before breeding commences. They will then break it apart if they don't think it fit. and he will have to build it again.

I would put her in the breeding trap for a day or two near to the nest so that he can see her and you can tell if she is ready to breed.

Sometimes the combinations dont work and you may need to get another female to try with him.

Have you conditioned the fish? I.e given them live foods for a week or so and plenty of water changes to make them fit and healthy?

Also make sure you are feeding him enough because once the 'thing' does happen he will not eat until the fry are free swimming. So look after him.

Have fun with it. If she doesnt respond in the next couple of days I would remove her, condition and try again in a week's time. Very Happy

Rob x x
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 11:27 pm

There's quite a lot of preperation needed for this then Rob isnt there. How are all your betta fry getting on by the way - any recent photo's?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 2:24 am

Well all my fry became six after the heater disaster and then there were 2 and now there are none.

But ill try again soon.

There is a lot of preparation yeah lol.

Rob x
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 2:58 am

Did they all die then Rob? Thats such a shame after all your hard work. What do you think the cause was?
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 8:45 am

Didnt he leave the breeding trap open by accident if i remember rightly and the majority got eaten?? I remember it being a lot of hard work and effort though.

Maybe the nest disappearing and him remaking its a good sign then? If theres nothing by wednesday ill buy the breeding trap and put her in there for a few days.

Yes Rob, I am feeding them bloodworm, thats all im feeding them atm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 10:57 pm

Originally I had to put them in the trap cos the heater bust, but the other fish bashed it till the lid came off, then they dived in and ate the babies.

I had six left which then just became two and then my two died randomly. They didnt grow much though so I dunno what the problem was but hey. You learn by experience.

Your girl will be testing his nest no doubt. Remember once they do lay, leave the lights on for a week non stop, that way he can see what hes doing.

Have Fun!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 11:53 pm

Thanks Rob!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 8:06 pm

Hello,

To bump the thread and also to find out whats going on. Have you got round to breeding yet phishy? Did you have any luck?

Rob x Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!   Decided to breed my siamese fighter!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Decided to breed my siamese fighter!!
Page 1 of 1