Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black (carbon?) filter stuff

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Black (carbon?) filter stuff Empty
PostSubject: Black (carbon?) filter stuff   Black (carbon?) filter stuff Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 12:35 am

Hi again everyone. I was just wondering whether it is right to keep the black filter stuff in the filter all the time? I have read elsewhere that this is carbon and shouldn't be used and I have been all the time. Does it matter?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Black (carbon?) filter stuff   Black (carbon?) filter stuff Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 12:45 am

Hiya mousey, what sort of filter do you have? If it is carbon, it doesnt need to be used unless you need to remove meds from the tank water, but let us know what sort of filter you have and hopefully someone else will confirm that for you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black (carbon?) filter stuff   Black (carbon?) filter stuff Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 12:49 am

sorry Diana I have put it in my sig but it's not showing for some reason. It's a AquaStyle 620 and has a filter in the lid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black (carbon?) filter stuff   Black (carbon?) filter stuff Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 12:49 am

Ah, it's there now! :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Black (carbon?) filter stuff   Black (carbon?) filter stuff Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 4:38 am

Same tank that I have, mousey. Smile

You don't need carbon in the filter on a daily basis, especially if you are using plant fertilizers as the carbon just removes the trace elements as I found when my plants started looking miserable after a couple of weeks.

What I did was let the original carbon cartridges in there as they deactivate after about 6-8 weeks. They then become an extra surface for the bacteria to colonize. I then put additional white filter wool on top of the cartridges and that's what I rinse out every month. I have a spare set of new cartridges in the cupboard in case I ever need to run carbon to remove meds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black (carbon?) filter stuff   Black (carbon?) filter stuff Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 5:55 am

So do you think I should leave it in now, or take it out? Do you have to wrap extra stuff round the foam or is it ok as it is?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black (carbon?) filter stuff   Black (carbon?) filter stuff Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 6:06 am

Hiya webster, i think you can leave it there if it has been there a while. I dont have an in lid filter so am not sure the benefits of adding any extra filter stuff, but am sure Mary will answer for you soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black (carbon?) filter stuff   Black (carbon?) filter stuff Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 6:08 am

sorry mousey, just realised that I have called you webster - osorry about that mate, it's been a long day! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Black (carbon?) filter stuff   Black (carbon?) filter stuff Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 6:29 am

You can just leave the cartridges in there if you like and just let them "deactivate". Then you just lay the extra filter wool on top of them. You can also add extra filter wool to internal filters, driver. It all provides extra surface area for the bacteria to colonize. Plus it's easy to rinse out once a month. Wink

You can also just leave the cartridges as is but another reason that I put the filter wool in is that, eventually the white foam attached to the carbon cartridges will disintegrate so, in this way, you have an extra filter surface already colonized.Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black (carbon?) filter stuff   Black (carbon?) filter stuff Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black (carbon?) filter stuff
Page 1 of 1