Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mary's Rams

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Mary's Rams Empty
PostSubject: Mary's Rams   Mary's Rams Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 9:51 pm

Rams are one of the few cichlid species that are suitable for a freshwater community tank. However, as they are fussy about water quality, soft acidic water are the best conditions to keep them in.

I have both Blue and Bolivian Rams in the same tank and, I have to say, they've been a fascinating addition to the community tank. While they required an initial settling-in period, during which time they tended to chase the other fish, now all is calm and I find them quite entertaining to watch. Occasionally, one of the Blue Rams (Hawkeye) will chase the other Rams just to let them know who's Boss. :mrgreen:

Another advantage of having "peaceful" cichlids is that the Rams actually leave my plants alone whereas most species of cichlid take great delight in uprooting planted tanks, much to the chagrin of their fishkeeper owners!

This is my first foray into the world of cichlids and I eventually hope to emulate Munchycarrot and set up a more ambitious cichlid tank as their territorial and breeding behaviour definitely makes them one of the more interesting families of fish. Smile

Mary's Rams 2055335918_48cf9378f5
Bolivian Rams - probably a male-female pair.

Mary's Rams 2054924579_7e1347b287
Blue Rams - both males. The females are less colourful but the LFS didn't have any. Smile

Back to top Go down

Mary's Rams
Page 1 of 1