Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hatchetfish

Go down 
+3
Diana
Matty
Mary
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 3:47 am

I've been eyeing up these little surface dwellers for the last couple of months so yesterday, I decided to get some. I now have four Marbled Hatchetfish (the nicest variety IMO) and they're in the Q tank atm. They must like where they are because they laid eggs in the floating plants overnight! :lol:

They're a fascinating little fish and look more like birds than fish! They do this fascinating synchronized fin flicking thing which is quite mesmerizing. I only discovered after I got them that they're considered the only true "flying fish" and can jump enormous distances so a lid on the tank is essential... Shocked

Hatchetfish 2309782445_1460d7a050Hatchetfish 2309782283_5b3e292736
Hatchetfish 2310585986_a685c59319Hatchetfish 2309782527_157f43cbc6
Back to top Go down

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 5:20 am

Interesting looking fish Mary Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 8:05 am

Coincidence!!! I am planning a paludarium with hatchet fish! Are tehy nice? Have they 'flown' yet!! What floating plants do have and stuff like that. I'd love mine to lay eggs! Very Happy Lovely pics btw Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 9:30 am

Matty wrote:
Coincidence!!! I am planning a paludarium with hatchet fish! Are tehy nice? Have they 'flown' yet!! What floating plants do have and stuff like that. I'd love mine to lay eggs! Lovely pics btw

:lol: So many questions, so little time. Wink

They're a lovely, fascinating little fish. No, they haven't "flown" yet and I hope they never do. Shocked When I was planting the tank today, I was petrified they'd leap out so I had a large net poised over the top just in case but thankfully none of them did.

I just have a covering of Salvinia natans which they seem to like but alas the eggs were laid in some Bacopa that I just had floating until I had a chance to plant it. Now that it is, I doubt if any will hatch. Still when they move to the 90L tank, they might oblige by producing another batch. Smile

One of the easiest fish to photograph as they very helpfully stay in the one place for long periods of time. :lol:
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 9:53 am

They look lovely!! Must sort out a tank Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 8:33 pm

What amazing little fish Mary, I have never seen anything like that before, they look so cute!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 8:43 pm

Mary, they are lovely, I would love some of them! What size do they grow too, and are they compatable with most things?
Back to top Go down

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 11:14 pm

Wow Mary, they are great little fish! They look like little ballerinas in the tank :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 9:29 am

They do, tardis. Very graceful. I fed them some brine shrimp tonight and they just skeetered all over the place like little dancers so an apt description. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 5:29 am

What great little fish Mary! I have never even heard of them (surprise, surprise!!), but the look lovely. I guess water changes and cleaning the tank will be a bit more challenging from now on :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 6:01 am

Diana wrote:
Mary, they are lovely, I would love some of them! What size do they grow too, and are they compatable with most things?

Wel of course I did my research after the fact. Doh. But they grow to about 5cm so need a 90L tank minimum, need to be kept in groups of at least 4-5 individuals (preferably more if you have the room) and are compatible with everything AFAIK apart from very large aggressive species such as Angelfish and other cichlids that might view them as food. Shocked

As they spend 90% of their time hovering just below the surface, floating plants are required to help them feel secure (you're sorted there Diana Wink) and as well as flake, need other floating foods such as Tubifex worms which come in little freeze dried blocks that you can break pieces off of. Smile

However, they are considered a true "flying fish" so a lid on the tank is essential. I did a water change the other day and added plants to the tank with a big net poised over the top just in case but thankfully, they didn't budge. I think slow, methodical movements are less likely to startle them so they were fine. I'm just mesmerized by them though - if you ever come across any in an LFS, you'll see what I mean.Wink
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 6:09 am

They're gorgeous, are they readily available?? I wonder if they'll get on with my perch, or even in my other tank with my dwarf puffers. What you reckon?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 6:11 am

Shocked Definitely not the puffers - they'd decimate them I reckon as they kind of look like floating flakes... :lol:

I've only ever come across them in one LFS and, like I said, I'd been eyeing them up for months before I succumbed. There's also a larger Silver variety but IMO the Marbled ones are the prettiest. Smile
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 8:45 am

They are lovely! I want to see them fly Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 9:14 am

Matty wrote:
They are lovely! I want to see them fly

Shocked I don't...:lol:
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 11:04 pm

hahaha
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 11:34 pm

Mary wrote:
Matty wrote:
They are lovely! I want to see them fly

Shocked I don't...:lol:

hahaha
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 11:35 pm

what cracking little fish Mary, really the best little fish i have seen for ages! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 12:06 am

Thanks driver. Wait 'til you see the Butterfly fish I'm planning to get for the four foot tank...Wink

Here's a photo from the web...
Hatchetfish Butterflyfish
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 12:45 am

now THEY creep me out, remind me of spiders for some reason lol
Back to top Go down

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 12:49 am

I cant make that out - is that one fish sot of split up the middle, or is one fish reflected in the water. That just looks weird!
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 4:32 am

Oh Mary.. that's one ugly fish (sorry) Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Matty
Matty

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 5:24 am

Mary wrote:
Thanks driver. Wait 'til you see the Butterfly fish I'm planning to get for the four foot tank...Wink

Here's a photo from the web...
Hatchetfish Butterflyfish

You are getting all the flying fish and don't want to see them fly!!!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 9:48 am

cam wrote:
I cant make that out - is that one fish sot of split up the middle, or is one fish reflected in the water. That just looks weird!

It's a reflection. The fish is the bottom half. Smile
Back to top Go down

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 3:02 am

Mary wrote:
cam wrote:

It's a reflection. The fish is the bottom half. Smile

Thanks for that Mary, I couldn't make it out either! What a strange fish, it looks sort of mottled Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hatchetfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hatchetfish   Hatchetfish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hatchetfish
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FRESHWATER CHAT :: TROPICAL FRESHWATER TOPICS :: GENERAL FRESHWATER TOPICS-
Jump to: