Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gravel vac and plants

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Gravel vac and plants Empty
PostSubject: Gravel vac and plants   Gravel vac and plants Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 6:07 am

I want to get some plants that cover the gravel. I saw the posts that MC did a while ago with some of the fishtanks looking better than my garden, and a lot of them had 'lawns' instead of gravel, and I would like to have something going towards that. I dont want it to be OTT, byut just want some ground cover plants, so which ones are best to get.

next question is, if I do get some of those plants, what do people do about gravel vac'ing. I already uproot my plants every time I vac the tank, so what do you do if you have just green stuff there.

Finally are there any gravel vacs which have narrow bore tubing (the bit that digs into the gravel)?
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Gravel vac and plants   Gravel vac and plants Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 6:54 am

I like Riccia as a carpeting plant. Bit tricky to secure though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Gravel vac and plants   Gravel vac and plants Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 7:30 am

I had Riccia fluitans as a floating plant initially - it went everywhere, clogged the filters and just drove me mad so one day, in a fit of fury I ripped it all out... Twisted Evil

If a tank is heavily planted and has a carpeting of dwarf plants in the gravel, then there's no need to gravel vac, Guppy, as the plants absorb the excess nitrates from the substrate. I only gravel vac near my plants as I too have uprooted several of them in the past... crazy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gravel vac and plants   Gravel vac and plants Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 7:49 am

So how about all the bits of poo etc, are they just ledft on the bottom of the tank?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Gravel vac and plants   Gravel vac and plants Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 8:20 am

The decaying faeces and uneaten food (collectively known as mulm) are absorbed as fertilizer by the plants. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gravel vac and plants   Gravel vac and plants Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 8:24 am

Sorry about this Mry, but would that only happen when the plants had properly covered the gravel? I suppose until that happens I would still have to do a decent gravel vac wouldnt I?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Gravel vac and plants   Gravel vac and plants Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 8:25 am

Exactly. Most of my tank substrate is either covered with plants or inaccessible due to rocks, wood etc. so I just gravel vac the bits that are bare. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Gravel vac and plants   Gravel vac and plants Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 9:18 am

I usually strip my tank down once every couple of months or so, remove the wood, ornaments and rocks and give the gravel a good clean where those things have been.

Perhaps it will be easier just to grow a lawn!
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Gravel vac and plants   Gravel vac and plants Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 9:20 am

Diana wrote:
I usually strip my tank down once every couple of months or so, remove the wood, ornaments and rocks and give the gravel a good clean where those things have been.

Perhaps it will be easier just to grow a lawn!

I do that to. An have just done so in fact Very Happy

Mary wrote:
The decaying faeces and uneaten food (collectively known as mulm)

:lol: Mulm...
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Gravel vac and plants   Gravel vac and plants Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 9:42 am

Diana wrote:

Too much of a palaver...plus I have too many plants now to do that. :lol:
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Gravel vac and plants   Gravel vac and plants Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 9:49 am

Well I am hoping my greenery will spread a bit and prevent me havinf to do this for ever!
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

PostSubject: Re: Gravel vac and plants   Gravel vac and plants Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 4:10 am

Mary wrote:
plus I have too many plants now to do that. :lol:

So do I Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gravel vac and plants   Gravel vac and plants Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gravel vac and plants
Page 1 of 1