Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

overfiltering

Go down 
+3
Diana
phishy07
alison
7 posters
AuthorMessage
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

overfiltering Empty
PostSubject: overfiltering   overfiltering Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 11:59 pm

i have a 60 litre fluval tank that came with a fluval 2plus filter which has been fine up until lately i have 3 bristlenose babies and a small goldnugget plec in the tank with about 8 tetras i know they have to be moved when they get bigger but at the moment i am cleaning the filter pads every other day as the flow is stopping the pads are really bunged up my husband bought me an external filter off ebay it came from germany its a big filter and i am wondering if you can over filter a tank
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

overfiltering Empty
PostSubject: Re: overfiltering   overfiltering Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 12:25 am

Not that I know of, the more filters the better IME! But Im sure someone that knows for SURE will correct me if im wrong. As long as you're cleaning them in old tank water NOT under the tap, it will be fine. Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

overfiltering Empty
PostSubject: Re: overfiltering   overfiltering Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 12:58 am

I think you're right phishy, I dont think using a bigger than needed filter will do any harm. You can squeeze some of the gunk from your current filter over the new one to help it cycle more quickly - by the sound of it you have plenty of that :lol:
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

overfiltering Empty
PostSubject: Re: overfiltering   overfiltering Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 1:02 am

thanks its put my mind at rest will get media tomorrow and start setting it up the plecs watch me clean the filter and wait for my back to turn and their off the lot of them are ammonia machines crazy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

overfiltering Empty
PostSubject: Re: overfiltering   overfiltering Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 1:32 am

i filter at a rate of 2400 litres per hour in my 240L tank. So lots is fine, lol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

overfiltering Empty
PostSubject: Re: overfiltering   overfiltering Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 4:06 am

I don't think there's ever such a thing as "too much filtration" IMO. To put it in persepective, I always store the spare filter media from the inactive tanks in my planted tanks and there's never been any problem with moving stuff back and forth between the filters. So long as the filter flow isn't impeded, you should be alright. Smile
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

overfiltering Empty
PostSubject: Re: overfiltering   overfiltering Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 7:29 pm

You can't over filter but just keep an eye on the flow, you don't want to turn your tank into a 60l whirlpool!
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

overfiltering Empty
PostSubject: Re: overfiltering   overfiltering Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:16 pm

I have an external in the same tank you have and its fine! The bigger the biological surface the better Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Sponsored content

overfiltering Empty
PostSubject: Re: overfiltering   overfiltering Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

overfiltering
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FRESHWATER CHAT :: TROPICAL FRESHWATER TOPICS :: GENERAL FRESHWATER TOPICS-
Jump to: