Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lights

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Lights Empty
PostSubject: Lights   Lights Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 8:07 am

Can I ask a few questions so I know I'm doing the right thing?

How long should I have the lights on for every day?

How often should I feed the fish at the mo and should it be different when the fish have all settled down and are not sick

Am I right that when the tank is ok I should change water - about 30% every week?

Any other things I should be doing?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lights   Lights Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 8:20 am

I have my lights on for around 8 hrs a day, i'd feed a very small amount every other day. Fish can have all sorts of problems with over feeding & the water quality will deteriorate much quicker with excess poop or uneaten food.
Maybe a treat of boolworm, brineshrimp, veggies etc once a week instead of flake to give a bit of variety.
A water change of 30% weekly sounds fine. Once everything has settled down and the readings are at 0-0 for ammonia & nitrIte, test the water weekly to give you an idea of what is going on Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lights   Lights Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 8:26 am

Lights dont matter unless you have real plants. Feeding - at the mo, while you have water quality problems I would keep to a minumum, say 2 or 3 times a week and then just as much as they can eat in 2 minutes. Dont worry they wont starve!

Water changes of 30% are the minimum I would say - I change nearly 50% each week, as well as a gravel vac to keep the level of muck in the tank down.
Back to top Go down

Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lights   Lights Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 10:34 am

jammy, I cycled the tank with fish (BIG mistake). I think I fed the fish every three days or so while the tank was cycling.

When the cycle was complete and I was sure the tank was stable then I fed them a bit more often - every day, but just a small pinch, not too much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lights   Lights Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lights
Page 1 of 1