Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Acei Ngara

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 6:50 am

We popped to Southport today & picked up 3 more ngara to replace the 3 we lost. We got 1 male & 2 females, one of which is holding a mouthful of eggs cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 6:55 am

Oh - well done MC, hope they all settle in ok. Let us see the pics when you have them!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 7:06 am

Hey!! I was in Southport today too MC! Very Happy

Hope the fish are ok, you've got some beautiful fish. look forward to seeing these soon Smile
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 7:07 am

You weren't walking your dog along Southport road were you??? I could swear it was your dog but have no idea what you look like! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 7:12 am

No, it wasn't me lol! Poor old dog hasn't been out today and keeps looking at me with sad eyes to make me feel guilty!
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 10:17 am

Here's the new lady with her mouthful of eggs..

New Acei Ngara Ngara01

The following aren't new today but just a few extra pics we took..

This is the male interruptus looking as happy as ever!
New Acei Ngara Inter01

Last edited by munchycarrot on Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 10:29 am

Very nice, M.C. I was in a new LFS the other day which had loads of Cichlids. I really should pay attention to the species names you've given so that I could try identifying them for real. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 11:18 am

That fish has gone from blue to yellow! I expected the later photo to show him really deep blue but he's not at all :lol:

I feel sorry for the poor fish with the ggs - she does not look a happpy bunny at all!
Back to top Go down

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 5:14 am

More beautiful fish MC. Have you always kept cichlids, or did you start off with the more 'ordinary' fish and work your way up?

I would like to think that one day I could have some fish like yours but dont feel confident enough yet Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 6:14 am

Thanks Very Happy We have a 180L community tank charley, we kept going into our favourite lfs who breed their own cichlids & have a massive mbuna display tank.
We'd stand for ages, watching their behaviour. Then it was a case of lots of reading & research into all of the different types. The vivid colours are what caught our eye mostly.
Ben kept fish before we met & so did I. When we both moved house, we parted company with our tanks. When we moved in together we just decided to get into the hobby again!
So, we're as mad as each other Razz
Back to top Go down

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 6:26 am

Do all cichlids carry the eggs in their mouths MC, and is it always the female that does that?
Back to top Go down

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 7:57 am

More lovely fish MC, how many have you got now? I didnt realise you had a general tank too.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 8:26 am

43 malawi's i think now, lol. I'm losing count..

10 Labidochromis Caeruleas
6 Aceii Ngara
8 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni blotch
3 Melanochromis Interruptus (1m/2f)
3 Labidochromis Hongi (1m/2f)
3 Pseudotropheus Zebra Gold (1m/2f)
4 Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga
6 Pseudotropheus Socolofi

As they get bigger & easier to sex we will get rid of 4 Labidochromis Caeruleas, 4 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni and try and keep groups with only 1, maybe 2 males. The subdominant males stay duller in colour so it's best to only have 1. If 2 colour up, they have serious fights Mad

Just took this of an Aceii Ngara..
New Acei Ngara Ngara
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 12:25 pm

tardis wrote:
Do all cichlids carry the eggs in their mouths MC, and is it always the female that does that?

Don't know about all cichlids tardis.. all the mbuna cichlids we keep do and yes, it's the females that hold the eggs. The female lays the eggs, the male fertilizes them, then she collects them in her mouth.
After about 10 days the eggs hatch inside the females mouth into fry. About 2 weeks later she spits them out and will collect them back up if she senses danger Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:14 am

That's great. How big do these fish grow to? They look about platty size in the pics, but that might just be the pohoto. Is that about right?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 6:30 am

They'll max at 4" to around 7" I'd say some are a tad bigger than 'platty' size and some much smaller. They are all juveniles though Very Happy so a bit of growing to do yet
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 6:31 am

I didn't realise they grew to be so big - I can see that if I ever want to have some I will have to invest in a BIG tank!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 6:36 am

i know.. the overstocking & over filtration are a must but if all my fish were 4" i'd have 172" of fish affraid
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 7:05 am

I know you've mentioned before MC that you have to overstock with these fish, how much of an overstock do you do? I mean using the 1" per gallon I take it just goes out of the window, so what rule of thumb do you use?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 7:41 am

Well as long as the filter can cope there isn't one as such.
When we add the new external we'll have 2400 litres an hour turnover & we do monitor it closely. We barely have a nitrAte reading and when we have, it's a faint tint.
The way we have stocked ours is to get groups of juvenile fish, we just chose the ones we liked & got larger groups. We have 10 labs but only really want 6, when they are sexable properly, we will take out 4. Ideally we'd aim for 1m/5f or 2m/4f. We had 6 Mpanga but lost 2. The same with the fuelleborni, we have 8 but only probably want 4. When we can figure out who is who we may need to swap a male out for a female or two.
The ones we have in 3's are sexed trios of 1m/2f as they are the ones that are sexable by colour. The rest, being monomorphic means we will have to wait & see how they change.
It can just be a case of removing the most colourful male for an hour & see who colours up next..chances are that'll be the next male. It sounds easy but when we take out the rock to try & catch the most colourful male..they all turn pale with the stress banghead
The only sure way (apart from remembering who had babies) is to vent them. This is lifting them out of the water & looking at their 'underneath parts' & see what holes are where affraid that's gonna be Bens job
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 7:48 am

So the ones you have that are going to be surplus, as in the labs, do you just take them back to the dealer or lfs?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Acei Ngara Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acei Ngara   New Acei Ngara Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Acei Ngara
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: ALL YOUR PHOTO'S :: FISHY PICS :: Cichlid Photo's-
Jump to: