Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is this right?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SMcM1

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-03-02

Is this right? Empty
PostSubject: Is this right?   Is this right? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 4:13 am

Hiya guys. well Ive gone and one it and my new tank is sitting in my house now yay

If I've done my conversions right, it's about 250litres or therabouts. Not new, it was advertised in a local paper and a decent price, came with some old gravel, ornaments, fake plants and some weird round white stuff and some foam that apparently goes in the lid.

I guess this is the trickle filter style that Rich mentoned?

Ive got it full of water, have put the white stuff and foam in the lid and tested the water flows through ok - seems to.

Now, I've been reading the Library section about the fishless cycle and understand that I need to add some amonia, and then check the levels. I've got some dipstick strips to do that and am going to get the amonia next week.

Should I keep the filter going while I am waiting and if not would I have to fill the tank with fresh water when I am ready to start things properly?
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Is this right? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this right?   Is this right? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 10:13 am

is the white stuff like roof insulation or cotton wool ie fibrous or is it loike little rocks?

If its the first wo - then its fine filoter floss which 'polishes' the water - catches all the really fine particles - this stuff needs replacing about every month (dont woryy til you have fish about this) if its the litle rock stuff then its called ceramic media and is used to house lots of good bacteria and never needs replacing (although a quick cklean is a good idea ebvery 6months just to remove larger chuncks of goop)

Unless of course its just a lump of white foam - foam coms in many colours and grades for different purposes

hope this helps Smile
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
SMcM1

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-03-02

Is this right? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this right?   Is this right? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 8:53 pm

Hiya Rich. The white stuff is like little rocks with holes through, if that makes sense, so I guess thats the ceremic media. Ive then got thin sheets of white foam so that must be the polisher?

I managed to get some ammonia - not the easiest to get hold of, and have put some in the tank now. Seemed to take a lot to get any sort of reading so I hope it's ok.

I now have a reading of ammonia in the tank and nothing else, but I guess now it's a waiting game for them to appear.

More updates to follow! Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Is this right? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this right?   Is this right? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 5:33 am

It is a waiting game now sm. Just make sure you check the water reading at about the same time every day, and top up to 5ppm if t falls below that.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Is this right? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this right?   Is this right? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 5:43 am

Have you had a read of this thread ? Might be useful
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

Is this right? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this right?   Is this right? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 9:33 am

also if you look at my tanks thread and look for richs tank from the start - you will get a fair idea of what to expect Smile

the white stuff sounds like ceramic noodles - once these are kloaded with bugs they dont need replacing - EVER (dont listen to shops or tank/filter guides on this point as its a money making scam)
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Is this right? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this right?   Is this right? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is this right?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FRESHWATER CHAT :: TROPICAL FRESHWATER TOPICS-
Jump to: