Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga Empty
PostSubject: Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga   Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 5:42 am

Just thought i'd share this as I have never experienced an eggbound fish.
Apparently it is pretty rare. One of our Mpanga was looking a little bloated and we noticed she had an egg, half in & half out. The advice we got was to very gently rub a finger from her throat to her tummy to help it out. I really didn't want to do it & after a lot of reading I found out that it can kill the fish as the ovaries can rupture. It can also be fatal if left...what a dilemma.
In the end she managed to pass it and seems a little less bloated now, here is a pic..

Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga Mpegg3

Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga Mpegg2
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga   Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 5:53 am

Ah the poor thing - what causes it MC - is it just because she hasn't done it before or is there some other reason?

I'm glad she's ok anyway.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

PostSubject: Re: Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga   Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 5:57 am

I think it's something to do with her being very young & having smaller tubes. I thought she would die, another bit of advice was to give her an epsom salt bath to clear her out. I was going to try that but when I was taking the rock down to try & catch her, she bolted & that's when she dropped it, thankfully
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga   Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 6:19 am

Ohhh, that sounds bad, poor little thing. I'm glad she's oknow
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga   Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 8:48 pm

Wow that's bad. Is it likely to happen again MC? How often do they lay eggs?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

PostSubject: Re: Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga   Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 8:58 pm

I hope it doesn't happen again, she did have a struggle with it. They lay eggs quite often if they get an interested male. I think as she's very young it was just a case of producing the egg which became too big for her to pass it.
We did have a case of malawi bloat a few wks back, the blockage in their guts from this can stop other things passing so am hoping it was just that & it wont happen again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga   Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eggbound Elongatus Mpanga
Page 1 of 1