Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What happened to all the fish

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
kausthubh

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-06-05

What happened to all the fish Empty
PostSubject: What happened to all the fish   What happened to all the fish Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:22 am

These days I don't see anything about fish fish on tff... it's like everyone got bored of fishkeeping and decided to take an oath of silence regarding their tanks. So I'm going to ask a question

It's been nearly five months since I got the big tank up and running, and I've been replacing water regularly and all that. Now I've realized that I need to clean out the filtration system.

How often do filters need to be cleaned? and is it a 100% wash or are you supposed to leave a layer or two untouched (for the bacteria to re-breed faster maybe?) Bit of help needed here!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: What happened to all the fish   What happened to all the fish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:21 am

Hiya k. You are right, the fishkeeping side has gone a bit quiet, everyones tanks must be nice and stable Smile

I usually do a weekly water change, and wash my filter sponges about once every three weeks or so.

I have internal filters and just wash the foam in the dirty tank water. One of my filters has a small compartment that has some 'noodles' in it and I rinse that out every now and agaiin when the crud in them gets a bit too much.

Hope that helps a bit Smile
Back to top Go down
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
kausthubh

PostSubject: Re: What happened to all the fish   What happened to all the fish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 3:54 am

Okay, I used to clean the filter every three weeks when I had my old tank. That one was an internal. Now I've got the big external canister filter. I've been given different advice on when to clean it, the time ranging from six months to a year (depending upon the LFS).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What happened to all the fish   What happened to all the fish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 4:36 am

Hi K
I Do Elvis's twice a year but only the white top peice of filter sponge
I Leave all the other
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: What happened to all the fish   What happened to all the fish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 7:07 am

kausthubh wrote:
Okay, I used to clean the filter every three weeks when I had my old tank. That one was an internal. Now I've got the big external canister filter. I've been given different advice on when to clean it, the time ranging from six months to a year (depending upon the LFS).

I would imagine that if you are doing regular water changes, keeping an eye on your water stats, and the flow through the filter is as it should be, then you could leave it a few weeks, but would think 5 months to a year is a bit extreme.

I have never used an external filter though so that is just a guess on my part.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: What happened to all the fish   What happened to all the fish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 1:02 pm

Now then - this depends on how well stocked your tank is - how big the filters are and how the flow rate seems to you.

Bit vague i know so here is what i used to do in my big tabk when it was overstocked (theoretically)

Once a month - id take it apart (the external filters) and empty all the water in the filter down the drain - as there was lots of gunk at the bottom i didnt use it to clean filter media.

Now in my filter (and not all filters run like this) the 1st stage (as you looked at it from above) was the last cleaning stage - so it had fine floss - i basically put all that in the rubbish and replaced with new.

The next stage was course foam - so i basically scrubbed this (as if you were scrubbing clothes by hand) in a bucket of water from the tank until most the gunk was off.

The final stage had my noodles in - i basically emptied the basket of noodles intot he bucket of tank water - moved them around a bit with my hand and then put them back intot he filter basket and pout everything back in order.

Of course being an external I also had to be sure taps and hoses were clear as well as well as impellors etc - but im sure you know how to dismantle your filters.

Of course - because my tank had a lot of fish and lots of messy big catfish - I had to clean it this often so as a comparison = my smaller tank (MY 65LITER FISHPOD) which i still have with fish - the two filters ( a hang on back and a small external) i do as follows

The HOB is NEVER cleaned (its a pain to restart and doesnt need it anyway as its full of bioballs with a small lump of foam to prevent the floating bioballs from going into the tank)

The external is unusual in that the top layer of filter media is the also the 1st stage of cleaning (the pump is at the bottom of the filter bucket) - but the principal is the same -

except this only needs doing once every 6 months as its full of small fish.

IF you have livebearers in your tank and you want the fry - itgs best to check the filgters every two weeks as youd be amazed how many fry end up in the filters (and they usually do better in the filter than the tank ime)

So as I said - it depends on your tank, the filter(s) and the fish

The easiest method is to

Check the water quality (by eye and with test kits)

Check the flow of water leaving the filter into your tank - get used to what the normal is like and if you notice things slowing down - clean the filter.

Other than that - old saying - if it isnt broken (ie its working fine) dont fix it (leave it alone)

BTW - dont ever clean a filter when the shops for spares are shut - the number of times ive taken a fliter apart - put it together n found a seal or tap etc now leaks and I cant do anything about it... Also have spares to hand if you can - its often actually cheaper in the long run (and easier) to just buy a spare filter of the same make n model - that way its a simple case of swapping media over in a matter of minutes n no cycle to worry about - then you can fix the older filter when you can afford it or the shops are open Smile

BTW - Sorry i not been on in a while 'stuff' going pn here (long story) but my fish are all ok (i think)
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: What happened to all the fish   What happened to all the fish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Good to see you back Rich, hope all is ok with you now Smile
Back to top Go down
kausthubh
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
kausthubh

PostSubject: Re: What happened to all the fish   What happened to all the fish Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 3:29 am

Wow, thanks for all that advice

Hope you're ok, hope the fistula's better now

I don't have any livebearers- but that part about them surviving in the filters was a bit creepy- I always thought fish die in a few minutes when they get sucked into filters

Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: What happened to all the fish   What happened to all the fish Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 6:49 am

they dies if they get stuck in the pipe or the intake strainer usually - if they get past that zone - the impellor usually gets them - but a newly hatched livebearer (normally) is only about 2mm so gets past all the hazards - and once in the filter - safe from other fish and plenty of food and fresh aerated water - if you think about it - its absolute heaven for a baby fish Wink

Buy as you dont have livebearers its not an issue but ive lost count of the babies ive pulled out of filters over the last 3 or 4 years
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What happened to all the fish   What happened to all the fish Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 9:12 pm

kausthubh wrote:
These days I don't see anything about fish fish on tff... it's like everyone got bored of fishkeeping and decided to take an oath of silence regarding their tanks. So I'm going to ask a question

It's been nearly five months since I got the big tank up and running, and I've been replacing water regularly and all that. Now I've realized that I need to clean out the filtration system.

How often do filters need to be cleaned? and is it a 100% wash or are you supposed to leave a layer or two untouched (for the bacteria to re-breed faster maybe?) Bit of help needed here!

Dont worry k, Ive just got a new tank so will be asking questions like a thing possessed soon!
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What happened to all the fish   What happened to all the fish Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 8:39 am

My routine is the same as rich every month the externals get a clean, you will be surprised by the amount of gunk at the bottom of the filter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What happened to all the fish   What happened to all the fish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What happened to all the fish
Page 1 of 1