Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

paradise fish or small gouramis?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2008-02-17

fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Empty
PostSubject: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 10:42 am

i understand the dwarf gouramis have a disease at the minute? If this is correct may look at a pair of paradise fish but are they happy in pairs and would a 60l be impractical? If its impractical any advice on a pair of something with nice colours that would be suitable. Would only have corys and rummy nose tetras in so no dominance issues. Thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=675998013
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 7:41 pm

I am sure I have read somewhere that paradise fish can have dominance issues if they are kept in a small tank, but couldn't swear to it - I'll have to do a bit of a search.

I havent heard abut the gourami problem, but that doesn't mean anything!

How about a couple of Blue Rams later when your tank has settled a bit?

Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 9:05 pm

i haven.t heard anything about the gouramis either i have a couple in my tanks but i have had them a while - rams sound a nice idea and they have stunning colour too.
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 12:21 am

I had 2 bolivian rams before i had 1f and 1m and the female killed the female then bullied everything else in my tank, i had to take her back to the pet shop so not had the best experience with them?
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

PostSubject: Re: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 12:35 am

hi phishy

what about a couple of rainbows. they are a lovely fish with very nice colours.
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 12:57 am

it says some species can grow up to 20cm, are the normal common ones found in most fish shops the small species? lol

I hadn't considered them, thanks for the suggestion, very pretty fish once theyre adults thanks
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

PostSubject: Re: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 4:45 am

no problem phishy hope you get sorted out - dont forget the pics when you have everything in your tank
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 1:00 am

Ok, i have FINALLY decided on reading a LOT of websites that I'm going to go with 1 paradise fish, dont want to risk 2 as my tank is a bit small and they are a bit aggressive.

Will be in a well planted tank so everything else has plenty of hiding spaces and theres some bogwood in there too and may be a couple small plant pots as well.

Gunna have 4 or 5 corys but can't decide on whether to get 2 female betta splendens (someone suggested this and that they should be fine) or get a school of rummies. Problem is, if rummies are too small they WILL get eaten so what to do....what to do.... lol

Any suggestions/advice much appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 5:22 am

I think it would be a case of 'suck it and see' with the female betta's. I have read some reports from people who have had aggression problems, while others have had no trouble at all, so I guess it just depends on the fish.

How about some cardinal tetras, nice and colourful but a wee bit bigger than the rummies so may avoid getting snacked Smile
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 10:24 am

You can only keep Paradise Fish as a single specimen in its own tank aka male Bettas as they're very aggressive so definitely NOT suitable for a species tank. Female Bettas are lovely though IME. Wink
Back to top Go down
phishy07
Frequent User
Frequent User
phishy07

PostSubject: Re: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 12:38 am

So if i get a paradise fish, i cant have any other paradise fish or female betas as they're related? Is that right?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 1:44 am

Might be wrong phishy but dont paradise fish like a bit of a bigger tank? dunno Might be worth checking on that coz I coould well be talking rubbish!

I think the main problem with them is that they are just generally bolshy, and certainly don't get on with fsh of their own kind so bettas might be a problem because they see them as a rival
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 10:55 am

gourami's can be quite the charaters ime Smile
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: paradise fish or small gouramis?   fish - paradise fish or small gouramis? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

paradise fish or small gouramis?
Page 1 of 1