Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Common Abbreviations

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Common Abbreviations Empty
PostSubject: Common Abbreviations   Common Abbreviations Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:09 am

Just thought that this might be handy for any noobyish types, so you can memorise them - you will be tested on them later :lol:

LFS - Local Fish Shop

Amm or NH3 - Ammonia

NO2 - Nitrite

NO3 - Nitrate

CO2 - Carbon Dioxide

pH - Potential of Hydrogen, a scale to measure the acidity/alkalinity of water.Potential of hydrogen.

GH - General Hardness, the concentration of dissolved magnesium and calcium in water.

KH - Carbonate Hardness, the buffering capacity of water, ie the stability of pH.

SG - Specific Gravity, the salinity of water. Applicable for marine and brackish water set-ups.

RO - Reverse Osmosis.

MTS - Malaysian Trumpet Snail.

NTD - Neon Tetra Disease.

UGF - Undergravel Filter.

Please feel free to add any more that you may think of.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Common Abbreviations   Common Abbreviations Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:22 am

You werent thinking of me when you did this were you Diana Very Happy

I have always wondered what people were going on about when they wrote about KH and GH and so on. I still dont understand why its needed but at least I know what the letters stand for now Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Common Abbreviations   Common Abbreviations Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:30 am

It's to do with the chemical composition of your water, charley and is basically a measurement of the levels of dissolved ions - magnesium and calcium I think. Oh yes, just checked above and that's what it is. This determines whether your water is soft or hard which is important to know when choosing fish. Smile

Sometimes if fish die for no apparent reason, it can be because they're being kept in the wrong water conditions. Certain fish require a specific GH/KH in order to survive longterm e.g. Rams do best in soft, slightly acidic water whereas Malawi Cichlids require hard water.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Common Abbreviations   Common Abbreviations Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 1:04 am

MTS - Malaysian Trumpet Snail

MTS - Multi tank syndrome Wink

I could say I have MTS but don't have any snails, or ModTheSims...MTS forum I go on. Nothing to do with tanks or snails :lol:
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Common Abbreviations   Common Abbreviations Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 7:00 am

BTS - Bigger Tank Syndrome

Now that I've recovered from MTS by acquiring six tanks (and a seventh still in its box), I am succumbing to the effects of BTS by craving a four foot tank. Smile

SAE - Siamese Algae Eater. A lovely little fish that's an efficient algae eater and very peaceful. This is my SAE Mongkut (named after the King of Siam, geddit?). :lol:

Common Abbreviations 2185044063_7897efc957

CAE - Chinese Algae Eater. Not such a good algae eater and can turn aggressive as it ages. I bought one accidentally a few months back but hightailed it back to the LFS when I realized my mistake.
Common Abbreviations Algae-eater
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Common Abbreviations   Common Abbreviations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Common Abbreviations
Page 1 of 1