Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pearl Gourami

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 12:37 am

One of my pearl gourami had a red sore on its back near its tail two weeks ago the following day when I put the lights on its tail had dropped off, so I set up a small tank in the kitchen and have been dosing with king british disease clear and tonic salt after two weeks his tail is growing back so will carry on until he has got all his tail. Now do I put him back in with the 5 pearls as they were bullying him and he was always on the other side of the tank on his own or could I put him in my other tank with the lone angel and add some more pearl to that tank as its looking very empty.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 3:32 am

angels and gourami are not a good mix apparently - all those long fins for each to have a nip on.

given your gourami is already weakened - id be inclined to either leave it in a tank on its own or give it away - dont put it back to be beaten all over again - the stress alone may well kill it.

not sure what to suggest really - perhaps add something like golden barbs for company?
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 7:34 am

I have three Pearl Gouramis in the same tank as my Angelfish and they cohabitate quite well. The Angelfish occasionally "runs" at the male Pearl but other than that, no major problems...just flexing its fishy muscles. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 9:43 am

I seem torecaall alisons lone angel being a bit aggresive

I know my two are 'tolerant' of the other fish excpet when theyve spawned - then they even have a bash at me for walking past their tank Very Happy (I cover their half of the tank with a towel to reduce the stress for them)

At the end of the day - much of fishkeepiong is trial n error so try it n see

but ot until your sure the gourami is on top form again and not at all stressed - im sure you dont want more fishy ills to deal with Wink
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 10:28 am

I thought the bolshy Angel was the one that died...but as you say, if the Pearl is ill, it might not be the best idea. Wink
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 2:19 am

yes Mary it was the female who was the the nut job she had cleared about 30 neons 1 small angel (I bought 3 at the same time) I small clown loach within 5 mins of being put in the tank.
Also she bit me when doing a water change which was the first time she had laid eggs . the male has always been more chilled, well we shall see how things go.
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 11:43 pm

A bt late in on this (yes I know I need to start coming on more!) but I would have kept it on its own I think to give it a biit of protection, or in a tank with a frew nice gentle fish for company.

What did you end up doing alison?
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 3:27 am

Nothing yet fishfan will go looking next week for some fish ,but the pearl is still in quarantine tank its tail is growing back very quick.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 3:44 am

Glad to hear it, alison. Clean water is the key to effective healing. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 4:07 am

alison wrote:
Nothing yet fishfan will go looking next week for some fish ,but the pearl is still in quarantine tank its tail is growing back very quick.

Glad that it is ok ali, did you treat it with anything - ie melafix - or just keep an eye on it and the water clean?
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:57 pm

I put in King British disease clear and tonic salt, water change every 3 days and if you had seen the state on its tail he had nothing only a couple of bones sticking out , its been 3 weeks and his tail is nearly all back, so I am waiting for another week and then sort something out with him.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 pm

Youve done really well with him ali, you must be delighted with the result Smile
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:36 pm

Whats disease clear then ali - not heard of that one before. Is it worth keeping in the cupboard?
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:15 pm

On the box it says its for bacterial and fungal infections, aids regeneration and healing of damaged tissues, and its been brilliant my oh thought the pearl was a goner but he is doing well. I also use king british water conditioner and find thats good as well.
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 1:32 am

Well put the pearl into the angel tank along with 4 smaller pearls and so far so good they are shoaling together and the male angel is not interested in them at all so fingers crossed peace reigns.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 6:44 am

Hope it stays like that ali, good news if it does!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pearl Gourami Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Gourami   Pearl Gourami Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pearl Gourami
Page 1 of 1