Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fish Lifespan

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

fish - Fish Lifespan Empty
PostSubject: Fish Lifespan   fish - Fish Lifespan Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 11:39 pm

Came across this and thought some may find it interesting Very Happy

http://www.fbas.co.uk/Ages.html
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Fish Lifespan   fish - Fish Lifespan Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 1:03 am

Thanks for that tardis. It might be worth making it a sticky as many people wonder about how long their fish are going to live.

It made me do a bit of looking round.

Apparently the oldest ever Koi carp was called Hanako.

He lived in a pond near the base of Mount Ontake in Japan. Apparently pure mountain spring water ran constantly into a small pond and then into the koi carp pond where Hanako and five other carp lived.

Hanako died on July 17th 1977 aged 226 years old.

His pondmates are apparently still alive and are now 143, 144, 153, 157 and 172 years old.

Apparently the fish have been in the same family and handed down from generation to generation.

And they say a dog is for life! Certainly makes you think of your responsibilities when buying a fish! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fish Lifespan   fish - Fish Lifespan Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 3:54 am

a 226 year old fish! affraid That's just mad!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Fish Lifespan   fish - Fish Lifespan Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 6:31 am

How about the Coelacanth - a so-called "living fossil" that has survived virtually unchanged for almost 150 million years...granted not the same individual fish but that's a long time in terms of evolution. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fish Lifespan   fish - Fish Lifespan Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 3:07 am

Can you imagine it Mary - you'd have to leave instructions for your kids, kids, kids, kids...........on how to do the water changes Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Fish Lifespan   fish - Fish Lifespan Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 7:44 am

cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
jkhsquonk
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
jkhsquonk

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2008-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Fish Lifespan   fish - Fish Lifespan Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 1:44 pm

I recently read of a whale found off the eastern coast of North American that had part of a harpoon still in it that was over 200 years old. So the whale was even older, because it was estimated that it was an adult when it happened.
Whales are mammals, of course, but still aquatic.
Jackie
Back to top Go down
http://jkhsquonk.ebsqart.com

PostSubject: Re: Fish Lifespan   fish - Fish Lifespan Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Hello Jackie! Are you another newbie? Welcome if you are, it's a nive forum to be on and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I hate the thought of whale's getting harpooned like is happening now, so it's good to know one got away. They use exploding heads on the harpoons now so I doubt that still happens! Sad
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Fish Lifespan   fish - Fish Lifespan Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 10:12 pm

it's a tragedy that it was all allowed to start up again. Absolutely no need for it.
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Fish Lifespan   fish - Fish Lifespan Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 4:13 am

Hiya Jackie and welcome to you Very Happy

It is criminal that these beautiful creatures are being killed again - all in the cause of 'scientific research' of course. Don't make me laugh Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fish Lifespan   fish - Fish Lifespan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fish Lifespan
Page 1 of 1